Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4FT 2015 haylage bales-what to do with them  (Read 2198 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
4FT 2015 haylage bales-what to do with them
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:27:45 pm »
Hi,

I am just putting the feelers out, as I have a large amount of haylage left from last year. About 30 bales and only have two horses and 5 sheep to eat it. A lot of it seems ok, although about a 3rd of it has holes in it from where the birds have got at it. I am trying to decide what to do with it, as I have no means of moving it. I would like to get rid of a lot of it, although I didn't think anyone would be interested in it as bales on the top have gone mouldy. The bales which I have used, some have been pretty bad, so had to throw quite a lot away, although the current bale is really nice.

I would not normally have haylage, and hope not to have it again. It was only baled as haylage, due to the bad weather and the time in the season. I normally have small bale hay. I really would like to get rid of a lot of it to make some space.

Anyone have any suggestions. It cost a lot to bale, and don't think I am likely to see much of it back.

Anyone interested?

Thank you for reading

Emily

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: 4FT 2015 haylage bales-what to do with them
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:08:40 pm »
Hmmmmmm what about composting it? or rather getting someone to compost it for you, as i doubt you would yhave enough space to compost them yourself? How wet are they?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: 4FT 2015 haylage bales-what to do with them
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:05:24 pm »
A cattle farmer may be glad of it. I believe cattle are less fussy/delicate about less than perfect haylage than sheep or horses.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS