Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adopting problems  (Read 3012 times)

Gemma

• Joined May 2016
Adopting problems
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:35:55 pm »
Had a ewe (let's call her 1) (mule shearling 3rd year she's lambed) lamb a good week ago now in the early hours. She got brought indoors with her large lamb roughly 5.30am. Was riding horse at around 9.30am and found a newborn lamb asleep in a different field (not the lambing field) with a ewe that aborted 2 weeks previously so it obviously wasn't hers. On closer inspection it had to be ewe 1's as she was the only one that had lambed recently. Because I thought she had had a single I had tried to adopt a triplet onto her. I then took it off her and gave her lamb 1 (the mystery lamb) she accepted the smell and bleated at it. However had her tied up for a week now (tried her indoors, outdoors and tied up /loose) but she will not let lamb 1 drink from her and she head butts it. Yet she bleats at it and accepts it's smell. She mothers her lamb 2 (the one that had been with her all along) very well though. Anyone got any advice? Will she let It drink from her eventually? I am regularly holding her for lamb 1 to drink at the moment

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Adopting problems
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:50:23 am »
Im sure some more experienced sheepy people will be along soon but I fostered twins onto a ewe who lost her twins this time and it took about a week of them being penned up together and holding the ewe for the lambs to feed until I was confident enough to turn them out. I penned off a corner of the ewes pen so the lambs could get into the corner away from ewe in case she was too rough with them. Good luck! :fc:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:11:40 pm »
Take the lamb off and bottle feed ,   when a ewe rejects one of her own twins because it wandered away at birth it is very very difficult to get her to accept it  , far easier to put two new lambs onto a ewe

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:52 pm »
There's a farmer near me who cuts the bottom out of a bucket and puts it over the ewes head. She is then blinkered and can't see which lamb is feeding. Seems to do the trick although I'm sure that there is more to it than that.
William

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 05:12:05 pm »
I posted here a while ago about a ewe who wouldn't accept her own single, despite being penned up together for over a week.  I'm afraid that I gave up and landed up bottle feeding him but he lives with the other lambs and ewes.  I had read lots of good advice here about getting the ewe to accept her offspring and the deciding factor for me was that I ran out of good hay to feed to the penned ewe.  I am feeding 4 times a day and worry less now that I know he is drinking over a litre a day.  Little does his Mum know that she has signed her own death warrant as I won't risk breeding from her again!
Helen

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 06:34:36 pm »
Personally I'd probably persevere if you can, I've only once or twice had it take longer than a week.  If it's no better at 10 days, though, you may have to give up.   

The Elizabethan collar idea sounds interesting, william_wt!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:56 am »
Little does his Mum know that she has signed her own death warrant as I won't risk breeding from her again!

In my experience this does work.  We've culled out poor mothering over the years and haven't had to use an adopter for some years.

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 05:03:06 pm »
I would keep at it for a while longer.  I had a set of twins this year who'd lost their mother and two ewes who'd lost lambs.  It took nearly 2 weeks for the Shetland ewe to accept one twin, where as the mule hog took less than a week.  Each ewe to their own, but she might still take it if you give her a bit longer.  :fc:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 10:36:10 pm »
How long you persevere is up to you and how much patience you have and how inconvenient having a pet lamb will be!  She either will or won't accept it and you may know in one week or several!  This year we had a shearing who hated her lamb and butted it away - but the lamb is a very strong character and kept trying (also squeezed out of the pen to suckle any other ewe in the barn!)  At 4 weeks, ewe was bound to go off with the culls and the lamb to be a pet, when we noticed a softening of the ewe's resolve and, long story short - at 2 months they are fine and lamb growing well.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS