Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got a Can-Am quad?  (Read 3250 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Anyone got a Can-Am quad?
« on: May 15, 2016, 01:34:41 pm »
We have one on trial, rather accidentally - the brakes are shot on our ancient Honda, husband was in town for something else, got chatting to the owner of the shop he was in, who he knows from school and is the dealer for these, and he said their try-before-you-buy one was due back that afternoon and wasn't booked out this week, would we like it? 

Having just hooked a very ancient harrow to the back of it and gone round four acres of lumpy hill field, I feel a LOT safer on it than the Honda, but did have an issue a couple of times in finding the gear lever hard to get back into one of the drive modes after having it in Park on the hill.  Is that just a case of getting the knack of it?  Any other issues anyone's had with them? 

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Anyone got a Can-Am quad?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:14:54 pm »
Without wanting to be rude. We had one, cheap tat.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 02:39:27 pm »
Thanks - husband used to work for Bombardier and I think it's clouding his judgement a little.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 08:02:45 pm »
Iv'e had them over the years when  our quad has gone in for service and next year when one of the quads is ready for replacement it will probably be a can -am  .  If you read the big agricultural forums then its mostly  can-am or Honda   ( not as strong as they used to be ) .   Have had Hondas ,  Suzuki , arctic cat    next door had 2 Kawasaki  for years now honda's

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:34:32 pm »
We have a couple, a 450 and now a 570 pro with power steering. Dealer is down the road from me and I bought one after a demo.
I have had no issues with them and I work them hard.
It's a cheaper quad than the Honda certainly but it's easily able to stand up to the work and abuse I give them.
Very powerful , particularly the 570 but the 450 is 9/10ths as good.

Great value for money. I would have loved a Honda but I just couldn't justify the very steep cost. It's by no means a lesser  quad and I would say try it out on your land and make your mind up.
I recommend them highly.

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:36:45 pm »
Oh and the gear selection is a knack, I found all cvt Trans quads to be like that in some ways. The Rotax engine is a gem.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:25:07 pm by Drummournie »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:10:58 am »
I have the baby 400 and it has worked its socks off in the year I have had it.  It has replaced a Kowasaki and I would not go back.  It has managed to tow the sheep trailer full of sheep and the other trailer through some pretty muddy patches.  The main fault I have is the poorer turning circle but you get used to that.  OH moaned a bucketful when I bought it but by November I noticed it was his preferred quad when he was going doing anything.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS