Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking goat unit  (Read 1951 times)

David Bullock

• Joined May 2016
Milking goat unit
« on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:39 am »
Hi I am a new member to this site with limited computer skills so please excuse any errors. I am a retired farmer with a few goats and now the new goatlings are drying off I need to milk the nannies for a while. I was wondering if I could use some redundant milking buckets and change the clusters from four to two for use on goats. I was wondering if the pressure form the pulsator will be ok or would I be doing some harm. I have milked a few by hand in the past but because of personal problems I find it to be rather difficult. Any advice will be appreciated as I dont want to purchase a new milking unit if at all p[ossible.  Thanks    Dave B

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Milking goat unit
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:03:45 am »
Cattle pulsators are too slow and goats need a stronger vaccuum than cattle.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:27:25 am »
Can your machine be reset, perhaps the dairy suppliers could tell you the correct settings for goats.
I got replacement udder cups(not sure what they're called) for an old goat bucket machine from the suppliers in Welshpool.

The man at GN Ltd is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:01 pm »

Goats need less vacuum than cows  Set the Vacuum to 45 KPA and the Pulsation to 90 per minute for goats

Cows setting is 50 KPA Vacuum and 60 Pulsation per minute.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS