Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with the wool  (Read 5989 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
What to do with the wool
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:49:30 pm »
I am planning on trying to shear my 10 ewes myself!  Probably only do one and then shout for help. 

Anyway, I do not spin or knit and wondered if anyone has any bright ideas as to what to do with the fleeces.  I have 5 mules, 2 Suffolk crosses and 3 Wiltshire Horn/Southdown crosses.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: What to do with the wool
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:31:25 am »
Woolly Shepherd is your lady for advice on wool.

http://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/

Val, where are you?....

She is based Somerset/Devon if you are anywhere local to that she might be able to take the wool off your hands.

One thing I used to do when I only had a handful of sheep was use it when planting fruit trees - it helps to retain moisture around the root ball.  Now I have 200 ewes I have to find alternatives!

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:07:46 am »
Hi ScotsGirl,

One use for the wool (and it uses a lot) is a peg loom, see http://www.stewardwood.org/resources/DIYpegloom.htm for instructions on how to make one.

Very basic instructions

To warp, cut warp longer than needed, thread through hole in peg, tie off at the bottom.

To weave, pull a peice of fleece off, twist slightly, weave in and out of pegs, go round at the end and weave in the opposite direction until pegs are full, pull pegs out and slide wool off, pack tight onto the warp, replace pegs, start again.

Continue until the end of warp or until you get sick of it, tie off.

Other than that learn to spin, I come from a family of handspinners and it can be addictive (we now have over 30 spinning wheels) ;D.

Good luck, and if you need advice on shearing please feel free to contact me I am always happy to help

Philip :sheep:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:01:31 pm »
Hello Scotsgirl.....have just sent you an email....!!!

You have some options....

Mule tends to be nice wool as often a Blue Faced Leicester is the sire and therefore a useable wool! Suffolk and southdown not to mention wilts horn have 'down' type springy wool. These types of wool are good quality, tend not to wet felt, are good for spinning and needle felt! They could go into insulation but are really much too good and too soft for that unless you cannot find any other use for them.......So what to do....

Well....you could have them washed and carded and use for stuffing pillows and/or cushions for which 'Down' wool is fantastic! There is the option of making a duvet by using the clean fluffy wool in cotton cambric fabric and 'pipeing' or quilting to keep it in place.

Or.....you could have it prepared for hand spinning, or needlefelted into a long roll for lining a yurt.....

There are lots of options!

Word of warning to those thinking of doing things with wool..... It is expensive to have wool processed so really think about what you would like to do with it and what your particular sort of fleece is good for. We can help you decide and can help you make a product from the wool but cannot make silk purses out of sows ears if you get my drift i.e. Herdwick fleece is for carpets not for jumpers etc!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:32:12 pm »
Woollyshepherd,

wilts horn have 'down' type springy wool.
???.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:53:45 pm »
Thanks Val and Philip.  That gives me something to think about.  Here's hoping for some hot weather next weekend before my ewes self-shear.  Mules already starting to peel off round the neck.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:53:03 am »
Woollyshepherd,

wilts horn have 'down' type springy wool.
???.

well they actually DO have wool but not a lot and it falls out, they are not bald :D BUT what they do have is of the 'down' type because they were descended from that type of sheep! When crossed with another breed it becomes obvious....hope that answers your puzzeled look!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 10:43:07 pm »
Ah, I thought he had forgotten to type!  And you are right they have very similar looking fleece to the Southdown and it doesn't appear to shed like the Wiltshires unfortunately... and they have VERY hairy bellies so I am so looking forward to fighting my way through that.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:52:37 am »
To you both,

I am not denying that they have a form of usable fibre that could be called wool, but the main quality of the Wiltshire horn breed is that they don't need shearing because the undercoat (which is much the same as Camaroon sheep's -  which I have spun) simply sheds, which is why they where used in the breeding of Easycare sheep.

Your crossbred will have a fleece because of the Southdown in it.

What I am commenting on is the fact that Woollyshepherd has stated that they are not bald , no one ever said they were! They have a coat of hair and an undercoat of downy wool but not a shearable fleece .

Thanks,
Philip

PS: my previous post contained all it needed 

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »
Don't worry Philip I was just being lighthearted ;) I know the history of the Wiltshire horn very well and its an interesting one. I also have a friend with Cameroons....very interesting sheep too!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 11:08:15 am »
Hi Val
So what to do with mine! 8 mules types a jacob and her black ewe daughter! I cant justify spending lots to have it turned into something I wont use,  can it just be felted for hanging basket liners? is that pricey? I'd happily give it away it it gets used, thats what I usually do!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »
Hi Dixie

Weeeelllll......its going to cost a bit to wash card and felt it just for hanging basket liners.....unless you are going into production as with that amount of felt you could possibly supply the entire street/village/parish :o
You could just use it raw for your baskets if you like the rustic look, or sell hanging basket kits next year as by the time it got processed it would be a bit late for this year!

With 10 sheep you could also make a set of futons, lots of pillows and cushions, duvets,etc etc.....just do not think only of knitting wool!

Wool is a valuable resourse but it requires investment, imagination and marketing!!!

Good luck

Val
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS