Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long do eggs keep?  (Read 2145 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
How long do eggs keep?
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:58:46 pm »
I have only had my chickens a short time and we are getting through and giving away the eggs as they arrive.
I was wondering, though - how long do they keep fresh for?
Should they be stored in the fridge or not? I do tend to, but know others who don't.....

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: How long do eggs keep?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:37 pm »
I don't think that there is a right or a wrong answer for keeping your eggs in the fridge or not. There are those that swear they must be refrigerated and then there are as many people convinced they must be kept at room temperature.

Try googling the question about how old eggs in the supermarket are, some say they can be kept in the chill for 6 months before reaching a supermarket shelf. I did read once though that eggs laid an christmas can be for sale at Easter. Quite scarey information out there.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »
Prior to reading all that stuff on the 'net I was always under the impression that they were fine for about 3 weeks, and I've always adhered to that over the years.  A friend of a friend used to work for the Egg Marketing Board and he said it was complete rubbish that they were stored for that length of time - he agreed with me that it was 3 weeks.

As James said some people keep them in teh fridge others don't.  I was told not to keep them in the fridge as being porous they would absorb other odours.  Don't know if that is true or not.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:19 pm »
As I understand it, I must store the eggs at room temperature, on open egg trays, prior to selling.  When they are sold, the box says keep refridgerated, which is then up to the customer.  I always put best before date of three weeks from when the eggs were laid, but with a free range egg, I reckon it will be fresh a bit longer than that.

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:14:36 am »
The EMI says that class A eggs have a 'sell by' date that is 21 days from date laid &  a 28 day 'best before' date on all egg boxes sold as class A eggs. They must not be chilled prior to being sold in store. But then they advise the consumer that eggs should be kept chilled once purchased.

The farmgate eggs I sell are not kept in the fridge.  But eggs for ourselves we keep in the fridge.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:36:26 pm »
am even more confused now! Someone told me they keep longer if you don't was them ?

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:58:48 am »
I don't want to add to your confusion, Valr.  I have been keeping a small number of backyard hens for 8 years and for seven of these I kept the eggs in the fridge, though I had read this was unnecessary. 

At Xmas my hen-mad best friend gave me an Eggskelter (see attached picture) which is a storage system which allows the eggs to be stored and used in order.  Great.  I love it and it is cause for much comment and laughter in the kitchen (esp OH rolling eggs down it - NOT recommended by manufacturer!!) but it doesn't fit in the fridge. 

So...  I have now experience of keeping my 3-a-day average both in the fridge and not.  My eggs are all for consumption for me and friends to whom I give away a box when I have too many so I am not tied to legislation and I think it comes down to personal preference.  I like to bake so appreciate eggs at room temperature for this.  My Eggskelter is no longer on the window ledge as it is too warm in the kitchen now so I have moved it to my cooler, darker utility room but the picture was taken in January!

Others will give their views on egg washing but I believe it is only necessary to remove excessive dirt.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS