Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbits  (Read 5334 times)

s7ephanie

• Joined May 2010
Rabbits
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:30 pm »
Hello
My doe gave birth to her 2nd litter 10 days ago.
Her 1st litter all died at about 4/5 weeks, somebody said it was because i was feeding her and the babies with carrots and greens.
Is there anything i should do to keep the new ones from dying?
She and the babies are in a small part of the barn, not kept in a little hutch.
Thanks

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:07:55 am »
the babies are a bit young for greens - their little tummies won't be able to cope with too much and might suffer with runny poo/dehydration.
did you give them any concentrate food?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

s7ephanie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:45:29 am »
i'm feeding mum on rabbit pellets only this time, no greens or carrots.
Last time i gave mum greens etc and the little ones were eating it as well

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:34 pm »
Does anyone consider what all these things do in the wild.What they eat what they don't eat.What they drink ?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:12:41 pm »
I think domestic rabbits dietry needs perhaps have changed over the years? I know mine can't cope with too much green stuff and certainly my litters of lionlop kits wouldnt' but I do see your point  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 03:26:55 pm »
Hello Plums of course.no doubt if you sent the kids out to get a bag of Kek.Do you have Kek where you live ?This time of year it was compulsory before having tea to go and get the rabbits some dandelion leaves and some nice fresh Kek.Muck the hutch's out and put a bit of nice hay in for them to make a nest.Could never understand why they ate the nest and left the Kek till later.Its just dawned on me Kek you probably know it as Wild Cow Parsley We used to pinch one of Dads 7'O'Clock razor blades and slit a slot in the side of a Kek stalk then blow down the hole and it made a vibrating noise We used to see who could make the most noise of course.We never heard of rabbit nut or pellets.Now theres a thing I'll start a new thread in the coffee lounge and see what others can remember TTFN :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »
Ooh don't you be giving me kids more ideas about how to make noise there!!!  no, not heard ofit as kek before.

one of my kits is poorly tonight. only 7 days old, eyes still shut, mother ate the whole nest - fur and everything and we found it cold and semi comatosed. trying to warm it up now poor thing. will never fully understand rabbit logic!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »
My dutch rabbits react very badly to to much greens, especially when they are very young, when i have a litter i do not give fresh greens to the doe and kits until they are about two weeks old, i feed the mother on Spillers High Protine pellets. if the mother feels threatened she will sometimes eat her offspring in order to "protect" her young, remember that they normally give birth underground in small spaces, so being in a barn is not normal, try providing her with a small hutch to nest in.

Like someone else has said domestic bread rabbits have been bread in ways so that he normal rabbit diet is not as good form them, they do not receive as much nutrition, wild rabbits are a lot smaller than most domestic Bunny's.

s7ephanie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 09:07:02 am »
thanks for replies, still feeding pellets only and shes in a very smallish stable bit on the side of barn.  Will let you know how they get on

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 10:13:33 am »
The domestic rabbit has a far more sensitive digestive system than wild. Any changes in diet must be slow other wise ending in possible fatal results.
 I always keep my rabbits on strict diet of pellet, only a small amount of green or carrot. for a nursing doe i will give her treats away from the kits. Leave ample good quality hay.. as much as they can cope with! This will be more than enough   ;D. A constant supply of fesh water is a must.

Watch  their poo it should be firm if they begin to look too soft then hold back on any treat. The mother will begin to leave small soft poo near the nest, dont remove this immediately these are 'cecotrophes'  these are produced in the rabbits gut and are different to normal waste. These are eaten at night and are a way of recycling neutrients and benificial digestive bacteria. The kittens will eat these which strengthen their immune system and digestion.

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 12:45:29 pm »
i feed all our rabbits on rabbit royale, an good moist feed. both doe and young do great on it and recommend it highly
!
we did feed our rabbits on burgess rabbit pellets  in the past and they all went sick and drop dead as an result

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 11:35:35 am »
yes it can happen if new foods are introduced to soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS