Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'frothy eyes' in chicken  (Read 5713 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
'frothy eyes' in chicken
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:50:33 pm »
Hoping someone can advise on this.

One of my Orpington ladies didn't come in this evening (very unusual for her) and  I found her in a corner of the yard, with a white froth - don't know how else to describe it! -  covering both eyes. Her eyes look intact, but sunken. She seems fine otherwise.

I gently trickled water over each eye to clear the froth, but it started bubbling up again from the inner corner of each eye.

I've put her in an isolation pen and she seems to be eating normally.

I'm off to google, but in the meantime wondered if anyone here has any experience of this, knows what it might be and how to treat it? I've kept chickens for many years and never come across this before.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: 'frothy eyes' in chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:16:11 pm »
Sounds like some sort of respiratory infection would be likely as tear ducts run down to the nostrils, so something blocking them such as inflammation and infection is likely to cause backing up, and froth from the eyes sounds like that might be the case. It would be best to treat this before she deteriorates as birds often have poor reserves and illness can develop rapidly.
I'd advise a trip to the vet as it's likely to need medication such as antibiotics and/or antiinflammatories, which are prescription medications so they will need to examine the chicken to provide the right treatment.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:00:52 pm »
When ours had similar symptoms, the vet diagnosed Mycoplasma. Their breath also had a distinct sweet sort of smell too (hard to describe, but unmistakable once you spotted it).

We treated them with Tylan, which is a powder you add to their water.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:46:48 pm »
Well I have added the hen to my list of things for the vet in the morning! Thing is she's not showing any other symptoms, maybe that means I've caught it early. Will check all the others carefully first thing tomorrow.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 11:45:04 am »
def mycoplasma - Injection is the best with back up of water in Tylan, as I found the once injection wasnt enough.  I would syringe the water solution into beak and some egg otherwise they will starve as the bird is unable to eat of drink.  If you catch it quick and look after them they will recover.  Watch the others very closely and would keep  isolated for a week.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:00 am »
With mycoplasma the sinuses get blocked and swell up.  Prompt treatment may save her but keep a very close eye on the others and remove and treat immediately as it's highly infectious.  I suggest thoroughly cleaning the housing she's been in, along with the feeder and drinker she's used.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »
Chances are they're all carrying it, one of the others or a wild bird gave it to her, she probably got a bit stressed by something and it came to the fore.

One of my flocks has both myco S and myco G, the latter causes what you describe, but after a few hens showing symptoms a few years ago it hardly ever surfaces anymore.

With a course of Baytril or Tylan she'll be fine.  :)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:29:41 pm »
Well, the vet had a look at her today and guess what - there was NO sign of froth or weeping from her eyes! However there is a very slight wheeze, only just detectable, in her breathing.

She is eating and drinking normally and was just very put out at being in an isolation pen.

Vet's advice is to keep her isolated and under observation for a few days, and if she shows any further sign of infection I can pick up antibiotics from the surgery. Also keep an eye on the rest of the flock.  He thought she might have picked up a virus, possibly from wild birds (swallows have arrived, so that's a new factor), and is successfully fighting it off.

So fingers crossed!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:32 pm »
Excellent result!
This is exactly why it is best to discuss with the vet, as many people would throw antibiotics at something that may be viral, wasting time, effort, money and promoting antibiotic resistance.
I hope she continues to fight it off and make a full recovery with your prompt identification and isolation, TLC and speedy veterinary advice she has everything going for her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS