Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming, Fluke and Flystrike.  (Read 1620 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Worming, Fluke and Flystrike.
« on: May 10, 2016, 01:11:20 pm »
So, I've finally sorted out the Steer, bloated lambs and Listeriosis problems I've had this year, and I finally feel like I'm making progress.

Now that the grass is growing thick and fast I'm keen to get the cows out. They were last wormed the day they arrived on the farm (Jan) so should I worm the, before hey go out for the summer?
The lambs have been out for two weeks in a separate pen, but I haven't wormed them yet let alone vaccinate. All the lambs were born jan/feb.

What I now need to know is what's effective, for worming cattle, and have I forgotten anything else?
What do I worm the lambs with, vaccinate with and should I do a preventative treatment for Flystrike before I move them onto fresh ground?

We're Bristol area so I think there is a need to fluke them? - I could be wrong.
And lastly, how often do I need to be worming both the lambs and cattle from now on?

Feel like I've had a rotten start this year and now I've forgotten the basics, despite being a newbie. So any info much appreciated.  :)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Worming, Fluke and Flystrike.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:44:46 pm »
Speak to your vet, and look at the scops and cows websites for sustainable worming advice.
The vet will know local conditions and therefore fluke and worms risk specific to your area, and even better your farm.
The websites give general advice to limit the worming to those that need it and methods and types of worming in order to slow the spread of resistant parasites.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Worming, Fluke and Flystrike.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:28 pm »
Echoing fsmnutter.  Your vet should be delighted to have a chat with you and advise you about local conditions and recommended regimes.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS