Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sudden scour  (Read 2838 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Sudden scour
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:28:53 am »
Hi guys
Over the past week all my ewes and lambs have suddenly got really bad scour. What causes this, the ewes were wormed before going out a few weeks ago but I wormed them again along with the lambs on friday. They were getting scour in one field so I moved them into a different field with slightly better grazing and now it has gotten worse and with some lambs they are white with a black bum. I wormed them with endospec which is what I have always used since I started with sheep. I s there a better wormer or is it not worms that have caused the scour. Is there anything I can do to stop this as it will attract blow fly and It will make showing and shearing difficult and horrid.

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Re: Sudden scour
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:42:12 am »
Read label, Ensure the wormer covers nematodes. If no improvement And if the lambs are anywhere around 4-6 weeks then If it was me I would dose for coccidiosis with vecoxan. Vecoxan is very expensive so you may want to get a Dung sample done first to eliminate other problems.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:44:20 am by m3joeEm »

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:43:20 am »
I normally rotate wormers from time to time , they can build resistance of the same class of wormer is used repeatedly.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:44:57 am »
Ok thanks will go into vets tomorrow. It's odd because there are a few ewes and lambs that don't have any sign of scour

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:26 am »
Have they been fluked?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:43 am »
Good point Sally . Thomas nadis is a good site with a parasite forecast, coupled with good stockmanship it gives a good idea what to watch out for every month http://www.nadis.org.uk/parasite-forecast.aspx

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:51 am »
Bimastat aka pink mixture from the vet is very useful for drying up the scours in the short term whatever the cause.  Obviously you would treat the cause as well.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 12:26:35 pm »
Could it just be from the fresh grass?
Worth getting samples to the vet who can discuss risks of various parasites in your area and your fields specifically and advise a worming plan.
It is no longer recommended to rotate wormers to prevent resistant worms developing because you are selecting for worms that are resistant to multiple drugs!
Look at scops website and ask your vet to get the best tailored advice.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:26:50 pm »
I suggest checking out the SCOPS website for the latest thinking on worm resistance.  Basically you need to switch wormer groups (white/yellow/clear) as resistance builds up over time and any resistant worms passed onto the pasture will breed with those still on the pasture, even if they're not resistant, and produce more wormer resistant worms.  Are you using the same field or turnout each year?  If so it may be carrying a very high worm burden. Might be worth getting a FEC count done by your vet so you target the problem correctly.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:38 pm »
Get a FEC done.
The wormer you used is a group 1 wormer so would cover nematodirus (the only worm that sometimes doesn't show in a FEC).  Sudden scour is unlikely to be fluke (in my opinion), especially if your lambs are also scouring.
It could be the lush grass, so put some hay out and see if they take any - it can help their poo dry/firm up.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 01:12:38 pm »
Hi
 Yes we only have 3 smallish fields so there are lambs on our main one each year but this is our second year lambing. I will go in and speak to the vet tomorrow or this afternoon to see what the problem is and get a test done.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS