Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Basic info on keeping cattle  (Read 3066 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Basic info on keeping cattle
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »
Please can anyone help with recommendations for books / websites that will give me a basic outline for keeping beef cattle on a small scale (as in 2 steers!)?  I want something that will give an overview of general husbandry, health management - worming, vaccinations, fly control, TB etc - and that has enough detail to use as reference for potential future problems, like overgrown feet, signs and symptoms of diseases etc.

Everything I've found so far is either too superficial and not detailed enough for my needs, or it's TOO detailed and aimed at the professional /commercial farmer rather than the smallholder. Or is American. Or is out of date. (Amazon has a second hand book on Dexter cattle that I'd love to buy but it was published in 1954 and costs over £50!)

For my sheep, I went on a day course at the local college and to the lambing course run by my own vet, but there is nothing equivalent for cattle.

At the moment I specifically want to know about worming (when and what with), and flystrike prevention (I assume they need some fly repellent when they are turned out?).

TIA!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Basic info on keeping cattle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:27:54 pm »
I found The Backyard Cow by Sue Weaver and Caring for Cows by Valerie Porter to be helpful introductions to the subject.  After that you can graduate to Roger Blowey's A Veterinary Book for Dairy Farmers and the like.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »
Valerie Porter is excellent  :thumbsup:

(I haven't read the other, not saying anything agin it.)

Diseases and vaccinations, supplements and so on, vary by locale, so I'd have a chat with your vet about what vaccines, drenched, jags and supplements they recommend.

We usually worm stirks on first turnout after weaning; fluke everything on housing  in Autumn and again 6 weeks later; mineral bolus on first turnout, and licks always available; never needed to give cattle fly protection unless they have a wound. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 02:04:18 pm »
I would recommend talking to your local cattle farmers and good breeders which are happy to teach all they know about cattle. It would also be good to look around their farms with them and ask as many questions as you like, I am sure they would be happy to share knowledge. One word of advice though it might be better to avoid the big dairy farms, as I have found they're not exactly helpful!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:49:34 pm »
I think all dairy farmers are having a very hard time at present.  None have given up in our area recently but I know many are struggling to keep the herds built up by generations of their family going at all, let alone profitably.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:07:41 pm »
Valerie Porter "Caring for Cows"

I'd recommend reading that then speaking to your vet about a health plan. Doesn't have to be anything fancy but it will help crystalize your thinking.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:30:11 pm »
There's a set of basic guides on TAS written by Rosemary, not specifically for beef but possibly useful as a primer:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/cattle/

HTH.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:00:32 pm »
Thank you so much for the replies and advice.

I've ordered both the books.

Dan - I've read Rosemary's excellent articles but now need something a bit more in-depth, but thanks!

The Dexters are doing great now, btw, they will come to a bucket and follow me around their pen quite happily :D 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS