Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best hand shears  (Read 9522 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Best hand shears
« on: May 08, 2016, 07:02:36 pm »
Hi I'm interested in shearing my own Hebridean sheep this year after all of them being left with cuts last year. I can't afford a set of good electric shears and I want to show my sheep so the best way seem to do it by hand. I was wondering if anybody could me so advise on what shears to get and what length and what bow type as I have no idea what all this means. I have heard that both jakoti and burgon & ball are good but not sure which to go with. The bugon look to be a bit cheaper and have a lot more options which confuses me. I was wondering if I can use the same shears for shearing as I would for dagging my sheep.
Many thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Best hand shears
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:15:26 pm »
Best to stick to daggers for dagging and full length shears for shearing.

Jakoti work like scissors which I find impossible to use, but lots of people love them.

Burgon and Ball are good, but I would recommend you try a few before you buy, so you find a pair which fit your hand comfortably.  Many people hold their shears too close to the blades and end up with blisters, so choosing the right kind and size for you is worth the extra effort.  You don't have to buy them in the shop, you can take a note of your ideal pair then buy online for less.  Naughty I know, but just a suggestion.

Don't try to shear Hebs too early as they have a greasy fleece which makes it difficult.  If you're patient they will get a good rise and be easy to shear.

You're welcome to visit and watch Mr F shearing Hebs once we get started - we're slightly north of Biggar.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 07:16:57 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:19:37 pm »
Cheers I don't have anywhere to try the shears. What model of burgon and ball do you find works best for the hebs? I have a few tup lambs who have half their fleece dragging behind them. lol

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 07:23:00 pm »
Hi fleecewife I would love to come and watch you guys shear your hebs. When about is it that you shear? By the way what length of blade do you find best?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
I have ladies shears, Mr F has big ones which I can't use.  The place to look at what's on offer is at the agricultural store.  I don't know what's available in Peebles........

We usually shear in June and sometimes into July.  We do just a few at a time, out in the field.  We don't have a big gather to do them all at once, just pick out a few easy to catch ewes, then round up the last few uncatcheables at the end.  The tups come in like babies, so no problem to do them.  I can let you know closer to the time which are likely days for shearing, but it also depends on how Mr F is on any one day (long story)

For your draggly lads (presumably last year born, so technically hoggs), pull off the trailing bits by hand, otherwise you have fleece all over the pasture.  Make sure they are dagged too to keep the flies away until shearing time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:27:20 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 08:59:30 am »
Thanks I will get a pair of dagging shears. I think I will go for the burgon and ball drummer boy shears and then 3.5 inch blades for dagging

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:27:01 pm »
Jakoti are the best we use although they are sharp so be careful. The Burgon & Ball ones we got were absolutely useless and now reside in file 13

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:43:16 pm »
that's a shame about the burgon and ball ones as they looked good. The Jakoti ones look deadly but I have seen nothing but good reviews about them so it's a tough choice as I'm going to have to start soon for the show ring. Where about do you get your Jakoti shears from and can you use them for dagging or no?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 09:09:44 pm »
Buy from Ebay / Amazon           I use jakoti for shearing , best iv'e used for dagging and I do hundreds , cutting   inner tube , paper , cardboard etc

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:05:06 am »
The B&B need to be set up just right, need to be the right size for your hands and the job, may need to be resharpened, and a fine set (ie, not the dagging ones) will be ruined by cutting through dags.  (Ask me how I know ::). And if your OH is like mine, do not let him/her borrow yours. ;))

BH uses the Jakoti for dagging and for feet, but commented that you'd be much more likely to cut the sheep - or yourself - with them because they are so very sharp and will cut flesh just as easily as wool.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 10:30:25 am »
Jakoti are the best we use although they are sharp so be careful. The Burgon & Ball ones we got were absolutely useless and now reside in file 13

With any shears (or in fact any bladed instrument) you have to learn how to keep them sharp.  There is nothing wrong with Burgon and Ball shears (or any other make), you just have to keep them sharpened regularly and make sure they stay in alignment.  If you were to watch professional hand shearers you will see how often they touch up the blades.

Scissor type ones like the Jakoti are different in that they are more self sharpening.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:00 am »
Thanks I'm gong to be getting the sharpening stone along with the 3.5 inch dagging shears and then the drummer boy sheers I think but will go have a look before I buy.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 12:09:05 am »
Love jakotis, sharp as hell but once you got our hand in with them, there's nowt better IMHO, b and b do a slightly cheaper jakoti lookalike, they've got blue handles. 

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 08:49:34 am »
Another vote for jakoti for dagging, so effortless.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:42:07 am »
Can I ask all you jakoti users how you look after them... keep them sharp etc. I've just got a pair to day my few, they were great but want to look after them !! :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS