Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jelly like cord from sheep  (Read 3452 times)

LadyFarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
Jelly like cord from sheep
« on: May 08, 2016, 09:50:28 am »
Hello
Looking for some advice. My pregnant ewe has passed a metre long jelly like stringy cord. She is roughly due (we didn't use a raddle but my other ewes lambed this week) but she has a tiny udder still and her vulva hasn't changed so I wasn't expecting any action yet.
She is behaving very normally. She's a first timer and quite large.

What is going on??? Should I be worried??

And advice gratefully received.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Jelly like cord from sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:25:24 am »
Difficult to give a definitive answer without seeing it but it could be a burst water bag, in which case she's started to lamb.  In a first timer vulva and udder may hardly change before birth.  Is she pawing the ground, lying down then getting up again, tucked into a corner or under a hayrack, lying down and stretching out her legs, bleating, making nibbling movements ....?  Depending on breed you may be able to see two distinct "dips" in front of her pelvis if you look along her sides - this indicates the lambs have moved into position ready for birth.

animalcrackers

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:44:12 pm »
i agree it is difficult to give a definitive answer. if she is not lambing it could likely be the mucus plug that some sheep discharge prior to lambing  - i have known it to be a few days before. the consistency is very sticky and jelly like no blood and no smell

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 07:45:53 pm »
When you say passed ,do you mean   Anus  OR  Vagina     a metre long could it be a tapeworm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS