Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: too early to start shearing?  (Read 5937 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
too early to start shearing?
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:53:14 am »
My ewes have all finished lambing now and the weather is supposed to be getting a bit warmer, would it be too early to shear them? I have seen a couple of green bottles around, I think, would the weather be too cold for the sheep if I sheared them now?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: too early to start shearing?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 12:03:21 pm »
I was thinking that ... one of mine has half shed already!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 12:09:37 pm »
yea some of mine have too, and the ram. I think the rise is just right on them and the weather is dry so you never know :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:11 pm »
I think mine would lose condition if I did it now. Grass not great yet, lambs still a significant burden and nights still cold, plus no field shelter. Just got to watch out for the fly menace! We're aiming for late June.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:49:57 pm »
Still a bit early here in mid Devon I think.... I reckon it wont be till June for us....  frost this morning at 5am (bottle feeding!!!!), and still not plentiful grass here either...
But I can't wait to see them all in their goaty reincarnation!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:37:44 pm »
Yeah, not much grass growth here yet and still cold nights.  Will be waiting for a week or two, but certainly before end of May.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 01:55:26 pm »
I was told that nursing ewes take longer for the sap to rise. We tend to shear beginning of July x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:59:03 pm »
We usually go for the end of May. It's not exactly  :sunshine: here today, or warm. And there's not a lot of grass.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 04:23:31 pm »
Highly unlikely to have 'risen' fleeces with the current weather conditions.  .... as one swallow doesn't make a summer, one green bottle doesn't cause Fly strike ...  End of May is soon enough for a lot of UK especially the cooler damper hillier west.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 04:47:33 pm »
Highly unlikely to have 'risen' fleeces with the current weather conditions.  .... as one swallow doesn't make a summer, one green bottle doesn't cause Fly strike ...  End of May is soon enough for a lot of UK especially the cooler damper hillier west.
Yep think I will go with end of may, although because we hadn't finished lambing until mid- end of may last year it was June for the fleeces.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 04:57:16 pm »
We're in MidWales. I watch for when the experienced farmers start shearing their flocks .... Then think about doing our Soay. Seems a bit early yet. Frost here this morning and not much grass up here .

Buy, yes, our sheep are beginning to drop their fleece naturally.... They must think that warm weather is on the way! ;D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:01:22 pm »
We normally clip our hoggs third week of June, and ewes 2nd week of July. Our hoggs all have really good rise on their fleece now this year, and certainly would be good clipping now. It's quite odd as they've been at 1400ft for the past few months and we've still got snow. But I presume it is to do with the mild conditions through the majority of the winter. We are keeping an eye on them but are potentially prepared for clipping them earlier if need be.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:02:31 pm »
Remember the phrase "Ne'er cast a clout till May is out"? Surely that must apply to sheep as well as people?

(Although see this link - what's your hawthorn looking like this year?)

Besides, we had half an inch of snow less than a week ago!  :-\
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 09:24:10 pm »
Ours will be done before the end of the month and again in September/October time. They are panting heavily at the slightest show of sun already!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 11:22:37 pm »
Ours will be done before the end of the month and again in September/October time. They are panting heavily at the slightest show of sun already!
What breed do you keep [member=25947]Sbom[/member]?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS