Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Short term fly strike prevention  (Read 6703 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Short term fly strike prevention
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 03:42:26 pm »
I use Dyna-mite or Blowfly Repel until shearing, then Clik afterwards. I hate this time between flies appearing and shearing, especially as the new grass has led to a couple of mucky bums. Have clipped and dagged but still worry till they are shorn.

Ah yes, Dyna-mite is the one I use and couldn't think of the name and was in a rush as I had to go out.
Thanks Blackbird
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 04:37:00 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I check my sheep daily so I hope I would spot anything untowards but I still worry at this time of year! Those websites Shotblastuk are very useful -thank you. I think I'm going to get some Dyno-mite and/or Blowfly repel to have until they are sheared and as Fleece wife suggests check daily. Thank you!

4 pet sheep

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 07:48:01 pm »
Thanks, I didn't realise that about Crovect, learn something new every day. I'll let my OH know as he has the fun job of shearing them.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 09:38:57 pm »
I've said a few times on here that I've used crovect unprotected, a very silly thing to do, the side eddects are nasty, headaches, nausea, disturbed sleep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 10:27:39 pm »
It certainly is a noxious product.  I have to wear all the protection or I get streaming eyes, tightness breathing, raw throat, etc.  Tellingly, it causes my waterproofs to degenerate  :o

Still better than fly strike, of course.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS