Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Training goats for showing  (Read 2090 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Training goats for showing
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:46:18 pm »
My two wether goats that will not be shown now walk very nicely in a halter. The three does and their 4 kids that I intend to show do not. I guess I must have got it right the first time but it was several years ago and took quite a while.  Any tips for training them?  They had halters on today for the first time but it was all rather more chaotic than I would hope. I have about 4 weeks the get it right with a 3 week gap in the middle.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Training goats for showing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:52:44 pm »
I used to show my females with a collar and only used a halter on the adult males.  I found one of the hardest bits of training was getting them to stand still and let someone walk behind them. A second person needed to practice that bit.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:50:52 pm »
Thanks Buttermilk, I am trying to get them started on my own but already concluded it was easier with two, you have confirmed that.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:12 pm »
I used to walk them round with a collar or collar and lead , because I found even making them go forward could be difficult , you could also use a treat for them, mine loved rich tea biscuits. It's just practice practice practice I'm afraid , the more time you spend with the goats the better , when they love you they behave well  :love: Good luck and don't worry too much even the best have days when their goats are naughty especially the kids  :excited:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:15:36 am »
Ok it's practice time. Hope it goes better than yesterday....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS