Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mid Wales (Here we come)  (Read 2360 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Mid Wales (Here we come)
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:18:02 pm »
Hi all,

As some people may have seen from a previous thread (relating to bore holes), I have been umming an arring about buying a smallholding in mid Wales.

We put an offer in on Friday and although we haven't heard back yet, think we might get it! So very exciting.

I was just wondering if there are many other TAS people over that way? Between Bishops Castle and Newtown?

Its quite a big move for us.... we are both in our 30s and have a small herd of goats. Our hope is to try and make a bit of an income off the 8 acres of land (I know.... madness). I'm an experienced cheese maker and hope to set up a goat micro dairy selling direct to customers and supplying a couple of cafes.

Its all a bit bonkers. Thankfully we do have other work to sustain us. Also thinking of offering some sort of 'glamping' type experience but need to think long and hard about that. Not even sure if its a very touristy place?

Is anyone else in that are doing a similar type of thing? Don't  want to be steeping on any ones toes!

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Mid Wales (Here we come)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:31:15 pm »
 :wave:

If you get bored and check out my threads from the last month or so, you'll see we're doing a very similar thing. We put in an offer on 26 acres in Devon about 4 weeks ago now. The estate agents have been painfully slow, and the solicitors were only given each others details at the very end of the 3rd week! bare in mind our mortage & valuation was all sorted wthin 7 working days!

We'd also considered the glamping angle, and cheese making from Goats milk. We're in a bit of a funny quandary with it all really. We both have full time jobs which will be very much required to modernise the house and sort out the land.... but we both want to be self-sufficient as a primary goal - over and above making money. I suspect we're at the start of 20 year plan without quite realising it!:)

If you're into that side of things, check out LILI and LAMAS - both great sources of info for sustainable / low impact stuff. Often this can feed into income-generation.

The infamous field-to-farm is worth a read too, to understand what's possible and helpful regarding planning.

I just turned 34 over the weekend, so perhaps we're at a similar stage of life too?

I know 26 acres will sound quiet big compared to 8, bu honestly, we could just as easily put in an offer on an 8 acre place. We looked at all sorts, and the prices are totally bonkers.... It deffo seemed to us as though you're mostly paying for the house when it comes to smallholdings.... and the house is the least interesting bit for us.

As far as income generation goes, I think it depends how much of yourself you want to invest in it (and therefor how much you want/need to generate). I'd prefer to spend the next 5/10 years paying down the mortgage with a full time job so that we have next to no outgoings.... but I may be well wrong in that plan!

Things with huge chunks of value-add seem to be the best bet for smallholders... like your artisan meats, etc.

sorry, bit of a ramble, but just pleased to see someone else doing this at the same time :)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:22:19 pm »
Marie

We are between Newtown and Llanidloes. We moved here seven years ago and have seen our one year plan turn into a five year plan via a house rebuild followed by the current ten year plan which is really now just "getting things on an even keel before I retire" plan!!!!

Actually - I don't think we really have a plan........ But still enjoying it
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:33:10 pm »
Hi Farmershort! Wow sounds like you've got a very exciting project on your hands.

Its good to know there are other people out there striving for the same things.

We are lucky in as much as we are 'down sizing' from our suburban terrace which has shot up in value. And I am self employed and Chris (my o/h) can keep commuting to his part time job for a bit....

Still, we need to make some money fairly quickly and glamping does appear to tick the boxes. Still need to look into planning permission.....

Goats dairy is a longer term plan as we wont have any out buildings. Also I imagine planning and environmental health is going to be a bit of a nightmare.

We are very much into 'green' living, so will check out LILI etc .

Thank you for all your thoughts. And good luck with your move, cant wait to hear how it goes via this forum  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:36:30 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave: and good luck with the plans  :thumbsup:

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:42:24 pm »
Hi from North Wales. Looking into a bit of glamping here too. Do wonder that it is a bit overdone but an original and genuinely well thought out design would always sell - we hope :fc:
Keep us posted.
(Ps doing same thing in our 50's your youth will be an advantage I can say after 12 months of hill side living!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS