Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alsatian bites little piggies!  (Read 6784 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Alsatian bites little piggies!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 12:37:44 pm »
Any training aid can be used or ab-used. I know of two dogs whose lives were saved by the use of electric collars.I fully agree that the best way of training a dog is with kindness and reward, after all how does a dog know what you want of him unless he is told, calmly and gently. But unless you can be absolutely certain that your dog will come to heel or sit on an unexpected flock of sheep or a deer then a collar will teach him that these animals BITE! and hard! Especially useful if you have running dogs.
A greyhound bitch I have when out as a pup saw her first herd of cows, turned to look at them and touched the electric fence with her tail. I've never had to call her to heel when we meet cows,she sticks close by my side.
As for the poor old pigs, hopefully the owner of the G. S. has learned just what the dog is capable of and will keep a stricter eye on it. And I do think they should pay any vet.bills if only to reinforce the lesson. I hope piggies are recovering.

lunanlife

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »
Do you personally know that the dog is normally docile? If it is then I agree with most and that if the dog has a responsible owner and is fairly well trained then the likelihood is that something triggered a reaction. I have both Berkshires and a GSD and my dog is constantly being bitten by the pigs. However it is my dog and pigs. Your neigbours dog should not have free unsupervised access to your property unless you have authorised it. If you get on with your neighbour and you like the dog then I would give it another chance and try and introduce them gradually. I would wait a good while though because the pigs will still be very stressed.

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 05:15:59 pm »
hi
i think we will have to agree to disagree.
training dogs in my opinion does not ever include punishment.
no more to say so from me it is back to the original thread
kn

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 11:25:38 am »
It appears that the alsation has done it again ...

"Sadly it has just happened again!    Heard the dog - saw it from the window barking at my pigs from inside the electric fence.

Pigs are too scared to come out of their arc - so I have left them to it for the moment - will check in an hour or so to see if there is any damage.  Stuck my head in the arc and they look undamaged - so fingers crossed!"

Dais

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Singapore
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 06:24:19 pm »
So sorry to hear about the pigs being attacked.  Just have to reply and say (although i know it is totally unrelated) that this kind of attack on live stock is so uncharachteristic of this breed (but that is only my opinion based on owning one for the last 12 wonderful years.
Shon

warmglo

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 02:50:49 pm »
The dog has obviously found himself a new sport! Not a nice surprise when you just want your new piggies to settle in and be happy...  It's up to her of course to train the dog, perhaps with professional help, but in the meantime, that might not be the only dog in the area looking for some sport, so some modifications may be necessary. As your neighbour is feeling bad about it too, perhaps they would like to contribute to a more dog proof boundry or pen?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS