Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alsatian bites little piggies!  (Read 9284 times)

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Alsatian bites little piggies!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 07:47:03 pm »
If your neighbour cannot keep this dog under control then you need to take action.  You have given it the benefit of the doubt but it now appears hell bent on worrying your pigs.  I love dogs but I could not put up with this and your pigs have a right to Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease and Freedom from Fear and Distress.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:27 am »
I dont understand your neighbour.  Her dog has attacked you animals on your property.  Why has she not got him tied up if she cant keep him in any other way? 

Its little use her saying he has never done it before, or tying him up is cruel.  Its too late when he has been shot by a local farmer for sheep worrying, or even caused an accident by escaping.  She is not being kind, she is sticking her head in the sand.

Be firm with her, next time it could be you he attacks.!!!

Jez

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 08:34:55 am »
Next time you see the said dog on your property execise your right and shoot it!!!!!!!!!! Castrating the dog will not stop its stock worrying
People who cannot control their dogs around livestock are a liability to everyone, next time it could be you! >:(

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 08:47:12 am »
I'm with you Jez but no doubt she said sorry Now a days it is said with no meaning at all it just comes out the mouth thinking its OK I've apologised.True story Jez shopping in Grandways a then supermarket in Grimsby. This female pushed her trolley into my ankle.OH I'm sorry and went past.In another isle she did it again, Only this time I back heeled her trolley and it struck her in the enormous gut I turned and smiled politely and said Oh I am sorry I didn't see you there.She made a comment that you will have to guess Yes thats right put GR to shame ??? ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 11:18:56 am »
I am now officially distraught.  Last night the newly castrated dog got out again and severely attacked three of my four piggies.  Now that they are considerably bigger, I didn't think he'd have a go - but he did.  One is badly cut, the others seem only minorly scratched.  Have managed to catch the worst off pig and administer antiseptic and am awaiting the vet now.   :'(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 11:24:34 am »
I am sorry to hear this, I hope your pigs are going to be ok. You must seriously now consider what steps you going to take now to put an end to this.

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 11:35:51 am »
I agree with James, it was fair to give the dog a second chance - but he's used that plus more  :( it's time to get tough.
If your neighbour can't keep the dog contained within their own garden it's posing a risk to all livestock. You are being very understanding - but other farmers may not be so sympathetic and may decide to excercise their right to shoot the dog if it worries their stock. It might be worth saying this to your neighbour, hopefully they will get the message and you'll be able to keep the relationship on good terms, if not maybe it's worth getting in touch with the local police or animal health officer to find out what your next step should be.
Good luck and I hope your pigs are okay (I'd also be expecting the neighbour to pay the vet's bill this time round, but maybe that's just me ;))

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:31 am »
So sorry to hear the pigs have been attacked again.  I don't think you reported the other attacks to the police?  Report the owner now, mentioning the other attacks.  The police will warn her to keep the dog under control - next time it will have to be PTS.  Castrated or not, this does not make a difference once a dog starts to attack livestock.

Your pigs have a right to be safe in their own pen - you have given the owner enough chances to contain her dog.  Surely she must realise there is no way this dog can be out in a garden unsupervised even for a minute?  She is responsible for the dogs actions.  I would also give her all the bills from the vet, and ask that she reimuburse you, its the least she can do.

I have dogs myself, two of which ended up getting shot for going among a farmers sheep.  They had been with me 8 years amongst our livestock and never bothered.  I told the farmer had he not shot them, they would have been PTS by my vet.  Once a dog starts to attack livestock, no matter how much I cared for it, thats it.

If this dog is not stopped now, and does it again - what if you are not there to stop it?  It could kill the pigs.  I am afraid that the feelings of the neighbour, or indeed the dog, have to take second place to the welfare of your livestock.

I do hope things can be sorted to keep your pigs safe.

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 04:46:25 pm »
Really sorry for you and your poor pigs.  "The dog got out again" is just not good enough.  It is now officially a dangerous dog so unless they want it to end up being put down THEY have to ensure it cannot and does not get out of THEIR property.  It has demonstrated that it cannot be trusted with livestock.  I think you have been more than patient with them but if it was me I would be getting the law involved and if it was my dog I would be mortified and building a 12 foot fence so it could not get out as well as offering to cover your vet bills.  Sincerely hope something gets sorted before things go beyond the point of no return and you loose a pig or the dog has to be put down.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »
If all else fails, tell your neighbour you are borrowing  a large, dangeorus boar with huge tusks, known to be a dog killer.  They do exist!!!!  If she loves her dog she will keep him tied up rather than risk him being speared and gutted on the boars tusks.

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »
I SAID IN MY LAST POST IT WOULD DO IT AGAIN AND IT HAS. IT NEEDS PUT DOWN IT COULD BE A KID THE NEXT TIME.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 07:09:55 am »
You are right Charlie They "They?" tell me a dog is allowed one bite not of me it isn't.The last cur's head was spread over an acre of corn
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

lunanlife

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:08 pm »
Charlie I could not disagree more. From reading this post I am of the understanding that the owner of the dog is to blame. If anyone needs putting down it is them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 06:10:52 pm »
I agree with lunanlife to an extent - it is always the dog that gets the blame for a bad owner.  But she MUST be made to pay the vet bills and MUST keep the dog under control.  It WILL do it again if allowed to.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 06:17:15 pm »
Does it matter who is at fault - the piglets are being terrorised.  What happens if the dog kills one?  What if the next victim is a child?  The owner must be made to realise she has to keep her dog under control, or failing that the police must be made aware so that the dog can be dealt with properly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS