Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A rant about lambivac  (Read 4456 times)

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
A rant about lambivac
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:06:32 pm »
I really wish lambivac would come in a smaller size. I only have 2 pygmies meaning almost a full bottle goes to waste! I don't know anyone around me to share with so it does all just get binned.
Must be the fastest expiring thing in the world! ????

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: A rant about lambivac
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 01:14:51 pm »
Try asking your vet or local Goat Society if someone could share with you !?!? I kept goats for years, sadly not at the moment and used lambivac twice a year.....I used to use from the same bottle again !!!! was scrupulously clean when giving the doses and kept in the fridge....either very lucky ,but never had a problem with the goats or the lambivac. That was my decision and not suggesting that you do it.  :wave: :goat:

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:04:41 am »
Thanks guys.
Part of me really wants to try keeping it because I have heard quite a few people say it is fine but the other part of me wants to play it safe haha. Each to their own I guess.

Yeah I may ask next time around, don't mind paying for it but it just seems an awful waste!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:52:41 am »
The 10 hours will be set on efficacy experiments. And they will have definitely tried for at least 24hours as that would be a much more usable label claim. It is either temperature or exposure to oxygen causing the degradation that fast so if you are only taking a couple of jabs out and resealing and putting in the fridge you may be ok and you may not.  The only way of finding out is a sick goat.  Personally I've decided to get a new bottle each time as it is not worth my time or the goats risk.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:02:16 am »
I'm more inclined to listen to the scientists.  :thumbsup:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:16:32 am »
Hi I'm just about to do my two golden Guernsey goats for the first time. Do I use 1 1/2 times the dose for sheep? Also do I use sheep wormer with the same ratio?  Is there a withdrawal period for the milk please?  :dunce:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:40 am »
As above, lambivac is a vaccination to prevent clostridial disease and dose is 2ml for sheep or goats (though it is recommended to dogoat boosters every 6 months instead of once a year) and there is zero milk and meat withdrawal.
Worming is a different story entirely, I would recommend speaking to your vet who can discuss when, if and how to worm your goats, often based on checking faecal samples for worm eggs to make sure they need worming.
Wormer will need dosing to weight and can be a different dose to sheep depending on type of wormer so do quiz your vet and weigh, or measure girth and length and follow the formulas for estimating goat weight online, to make sure it is correct. Depending if they need worming, different wormers have different withdrawal periods so again, check with your vet.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 11:45:24 am »
Thanks both,  that is really helpful!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS