Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gosling not thriving  (Read 2050 times)

agoosecalledshakespeare

• Joined Apr 2016
Gosling not thriving
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:14:45 pm »
Evening all,

We have 3 15 day old Brecon Buff goslings that we bought as two day olds a fortnight ago.  Two of them are thriving - growing nicely and very vigorous and squeaky.  The last one is about a third to a half smaller than his/her compadres and doesn't seem as strong. 

They are still under lights and on a diet of chick crumbs and fresh grass.  We have an adult goose but have never raised goslings before. 

Is it normal that they grow at different rates (which seems unlikely), or is there anything I can do to perk it up a bit?

Many thanks,

Naomi

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Gosling not thriving
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:00:34 am »
Any group of youngstock will possibly have ones that grow slower or faster. The main thing is that if they are growing slower is it  because they are healthy but smaller or not thriving? If it is happy enough and getting enough food I wouldn't worry.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Gosling not thriving
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:34:15 pm »
We had one a few years back that didn't grow like the rest - subsequently died about 6 weeks old I'm afraid, was super cute but just didn't grow properly, it had a bit of trouble getting out of the shell at birth and needed a bit of help - seems it was nature's way I think that if they can't make it out of the shell then they are probably weaker anyway.
Hope your wee gosling does ok, all the best Shakespeare.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS