Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Second hand spinning wheel  (Read 4268 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Second hand spinning wheel
« on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:36 am »
While at Wonderwool, I tried out a Kromski Minstrel and enjoyed using it. I want to get a second wheel and this one fits the bill. The price is £345 with no extra charge for postage. Now someone is offering one on Ravelry for 400 euros (from the Netherlands) including postage and with three extra bobbins and a diy made lazy Kate. That converts to £313. It's described as nearly new with no defects and it certainly looks it from the photo.

I'm dithering because it's not much less than the brand new price. True it has extra bobbins but I already have a Kromski Sonata and the bobbins fit both wheels. To buy they would cost £33 for the three. Again the lazy Kate would be useful but not necessary because it has a built in one.

What do people think? Is a second hand wheel with no guarantee, worth only £32 less than a brand new one?  At the moment, I seem to be the only one who is showing an interest but I don't suppose that will last. 23 people have viewed the post so far.

I know that a item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I'd value some opinions.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Second hand spinning wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 01:27:07 am »
Just looked on her Etsy page as she sells her Angora rabbit fur which apparently ships from Sweden. Strange.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:00:26 am »
I would go for a new one, as there is little difference in price, and there seems to be something a little strange about the wheel coming from the Netherlands and her yarn shipping from Sweden. With a new wheel sourced from this country you have the reassurance of consumer rights etc if there should be a problem. Go for a new wheel! :spin: :excited:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:47:29 am »
sounds a bit fishy to me, I would definately buy a new one. Have you looked on Ebay they may also have some really good second hand ones or new ones
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:36:39 am »
A secondhand wheel should be around 80% the cost of a new one.  Some wheels fetch more - there's a waiting list for a new one; the original maker's models fetch a premium, for instance.  But there's no such issue with the Minstrel.  They do come up on Ravelry now and again.

Winghams have the Minstrel at £340, carriage free, and with a £15 voucher to spend on fibre.  Walnut or mahogany finish adds £30 new.  So the most I'd pay for a Minstrel with 3 extra bobbins (that 6 in total is it?) is £287, or £310 with the fancy finish.

If saving money is a factor, and you don't need the extra bobbins or a fancy finish, then you're looking at £325 new (assuming the £15 fibre voucher has that value to you) vs £313 secondhand.  No contest, in my view.

If you'd use the bobbins (and I'm assuming they're Kromski bobbins not one of the cheaper makes) and like the finish on the secondhand one (and I'm assuming it has one of the fancy finishes) and it's all in excellent condition, and the shipper takes the risk on shipping (which they should), well then it's being offered at a reasonable price.

If you can afford new, I'd always go for new over buying from an unknown seller and shipping from same.  Buying from someone you know locally, and can collect or they can deliver, then it's worth saving the money. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:39:49 am »
As well as what everyone's said, I'd be concerned about physically shipping it and getting it in one piece. Or, you know, the expected number of pieces  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:10:45 pm »
I'm not a risk taker so I'd definitely go for the new one - the other sounds dodgy, there's little saving, you have no guarantee and shipping a made-up wheel from overseas is risky.  Besides I don't like second hand stuff  :spin:.  Go for a lovely new one which is all yours  :love:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 12:12:06 pm »
NEW
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 06:02:55 pm »
Thanks, everyone. That's what I thought but I wondered if I was being overcautious. Sally, it's the plain finish so only a saving of £12 on the Wingham's price and yes, I would use the £15 voucher since it's for fluff and we always need more of that.

Looks like I'm going to have my first ever brand new wheel then.  :excited: :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 06:15:19 pm »
Thanks, everyone. That's what I thought but I wondered if I was being overcautious. Sally, it's the plain finish so only a saving of £12 on the Wingham's price and yes, I would use the £15 voucher since it's for fluff and we always need more of that.

Looks like I'm going to have my first ever brand new wheel then.  :excited: :excited:

:yippee:  :spin:  :yippee:  :spin:  :yippee:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 07:34:15 pm »

Excellent!    :excited:  :excited:  :spin: :spin:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:04:21 am »
It was ordered within five minutes of my last post.  :excited: :excited: :excited:

I've just remembered that someone from my spinning group offered to let me try out her new Bliss before I made up my mind. Bit late now.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 12:33:22 am »
Interestingly, the seller has now taken her two posts off Ravelry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS