Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: currants  (Read 3632 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
currants
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:07 pm »
I wanted a few more currant bushes and happened to find J Parkers website with a deal of 3 each white red back total (if I remember) 9 for £17 plus post.. came to less than £21 and includes a free rhodadendron.
Order arrived to day.. bare rooted but packed well and the shrubs are a good 18"+ long above the root-line...In other words very good sized. Most were still dormant but a couple did have some shoots. Due to the cold snap I decided to pot them all up in big pots and keep them in the greenhouse to kick them off (mid wales) and probably keep them potted and pandered to until they have really rooted..or perhaps even until the autumn.
I'd expect a small amount of fruit this year from specimens that look like this..and get them kicking off well for next year

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: currants
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:08:27 am »
Always worth getting together with a friend or two and seeing if you can get Parkers wholesale catalogue. It is a number of years since I last did this but I seem to remember it being well worth it. Once we get the garden and veg plot sorted (major earth works required) I shall try to do this again.

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 04:01:14 pm »
Sounds great.  I have a number of different berry bushes including white and red currants - I realised what (just a few) the red ones were last year but as I'd forgotten I'd planted them a few years ago I was scared to eat the white ones(even less of them).   What a dimbo I am!  :eyelashes:  I'll have more confidence this year  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:24:47 pm »
Boosting the currants in glasshouse was a mistake. They looked great and grew well but once I put the pots out to harden off.. well the first wet stormy day and they all bent. It's how one learns. They have been planted into the ground now and heavily pruned back .. so lost more than i gained. I've gambled on rooting the cuttings.. nowt to lose even though wrong time of year.. just a few pence of rooting powder and some soil.

If country law is true then it's gonna be a tough winter here. The older bushes are laden with some of the biggest blackcurrants I've ever grown and the blueberries and gooseberries are heaving with fruit. First raspberries ripened today.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 04:12:19 pm »

If country law is true then it's gonna be a tough winter here. The older bushes are laden with some of the biggest blackcurrants I've ever grown and the blueberries and gooseberries are heaving with fruit. First raspberries ripened today.

Sorry to disappoint but fruit bushes were laden here last year too  ..........  had no winter at all!  (and yes I would like a REAL winter ..... fed up of warm wet winters ..... and Cold wet summer this year!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 07:45:53 pm »
Always worth getting together with a friend or two and seeing if you can get Parkers wholesale catalogue. It is a number of years since I last did this but I seem to remember it being well worth it. Once we get the garden and veg plot sorted (major earth works required) I shall try to do this again.

Helen
I have them delivered through my mail box, I think I have one atm. They're brilliant to look at but their website is limited a bit, their veg seeds are almost non exisistent, mostly flowers and bushes
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS