Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loss of neck wool in a ewe  (Read 4887 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Loss of neck wool in a ewe
« on: April 25, 2016, 08:33:03 am »
One of my Badgerface ewes has suddenly lost a band of wool around her neck. Not down to the skin, but shortened to about 2cm long, in a complete band about 12cm wide. None of the other sheep or lambs affected, and it is restricted to just around the neck on her. She is nursing a single lamb. Any suggestions what this might be please? thanks

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
Re: Loss of neck wool in a ewe
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:27 am »
Could she have maybe got her head caught in the fence? That might have rubbed a bit until she got it out?

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:24:52 am »
Sounds like she grazing other side of fence, putting head through a square in stock netting. Does she have any straggly bits elsewhere? Seen her acting itchy?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:40:47 pm »
I've got one ewe who stands all day with her head through fences.

She is mad as a hatter, stands their and when you approach her she just walks off and sticks it through another fence.

Maybe resting her neck!?

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:13:16 pm »
Well there is hardly any grass and she appears each morning covered in brambles, so head through the fence is entirely possible.  Thank you.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 06:02:05 am »
We have about 20 badgers unto 4 years old and one or two loose wool from around neck about this time each year. does not seem to affect them in any way. May be putting head thro fence but more likely to be a hereditary problem.

regen

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:07 am »
Interesting Regen, thank you. This one is 5 years old and this is the first time it has happened. It is also the worst year for grass in her lifetime, so there may be a link.........I am feeding hay ad lib and cake once a day, but I guess there's nothing like the real thing, and in this case, the grass really is greener on the other side and a lot more of it!

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:58:11 pm »
I have one ewe with a bald neck and her hair grows back to a certain length then disappears again - and it is all down to her being the 'grass is greener on the other side' sheep  :)  She could be in a field of the best grass, she will still put her head through the fence and eat everything on the other side and wear away the fleece doing it.  She is also super nosey, so spends most of time with her head in the fence.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS