Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elastrating shetland tup lamb with tiny balls, help...  (Read 6664 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Elastrating shetland tup lamb with tiny balls, help...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:19 pm »
Shoot, it must've been somewhere else I saw, followed and read the link.  It was to a NADIS page initially, and thence to a research paper.  Can anyone help?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 06:58:00 pm »
Found it, it was in the reawakened ear tagging thread.

There is some information on the pain caused by docking and castration in the bottom half of this NADIS article:  http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/lambing/lambing-part-6-–-fostering,-docking-and-castration.aspx

and

More info on pain, with references, here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Man/PainRumOverviews/PainProc/P06PainPrev_Lamb_Castrate_Dock.htm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:01:26 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 12:14:28 am »

Thank you Sally.  The second link is particularly good.  It claims that castration and tail docking at whatever age both cause significant pain to lambs, although the behaviours described have rarely occurred in the few lambs we have castrated.  Mostly they just wander off with mum and get on with life.  A few though have exhibited pain, to the extent that we now only castrate a few lambs which we absolutely do not want to breed, even by accident. So I'm not sure where they get the 7 day rule.
 We have never tail docked, even when we had Jacobs.  Northern shorttailed sheep are wonderful - wouldn't it be good to breed the short tailed trait into other breeds  :sheep: :sheep:.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 06:28:33 am »
I did see a study where they evaluated the various methods using cortisol level to indicate levels of pain evidenced as a stressor. In that study banding came out as less painful than burdizzo and the seven days was down to painlevels as indicated due to blood cortisol levels. To my knowledge no primitives were considered in the study.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55:22 am »

We have never tail docked, even when we had Jacobs.  Northern shorttailed sheep are wonderful - wouldn't it be good to breed the short tailed trait into other breeds  :sheep: :sheep:.

It's the first thing you loose when crossing... all my Shetland x Texel had to have their tails docked....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 11:50:06 am »

It's the first thing you loose when crossing... all my Shetland x Texel had to have their tails docked....

Some of my crosses have short tails.  This year I've only docked the Wensleydale x Shetland lambs; their tails were a good 6" long!  Most of the other mothers are part Shetland (or other northern short-tailed) mind.  I've been pleased that the lambs from the BFL x Shetland haven't needed docking, this year or last, and the lambs of the Dutch Texel x (Shetland x commercial) haven't needed docking either.  Nor the lamb from the Icelandic x Dutch Texel. 

I daren't leave my boys intact, though - our fences are nowhere near good enough ;p

sc12011

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 12:52:37 pm »
I had to dock my wensleydale x shetland tails, they were shorter than full wensleydales, but not short enough  :(

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, as of today 4 of this year's 5 bots are done successfully and no. 5 was only born yesterday...

New skill mastered :-D

Give me 10 years and I might stop being squeamish about it :-D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS