Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which incubator?  (Read 1188 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
which incubator?
« on: April 23, 2016, 12:53:37 pm »
I'd be glad of recommendations for an incubator. We're going to try hatching perhaps 6-8 bantam chicken eggs.
I've been looking online at incubators but for every good review there's always a bad review to match so a recommendation would be great.
Also, will we need to buy a candler and brooder at the same time?
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: which incubator?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 02:27:31 pm »
Brinsea mini auto is a good little Incy, holds 7 eggs with auto turn.

To candle just use a strong tourch and put some black card on the end with a hole in to put the egg up against, obviously doing this in a dark room.
A tea towel round the end leaving a small gap also works, ha.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »
Thanks Dave C
I've looked at the Brinsea mini eco and the auto. There's a big difference in price  (almost double). Is it worth paying that for the auto turning or is it okay to turn them manually and save £50? If it's much better to get the auto version then I will!
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:35:36 pm »
Brinsea mini auto as you don't want to forget about turning the eggs, yes to the candler unless you have a strong but small torch (e.g. iphone), and yes to the brooder and try it out when you receive it - I use an 'electric hen' brooder as they're easier than those yellow ones which are so difficult to change the height of without snapping a corner.

The Incubator Shop tends to be best for price on Brinseas, Brinsea doesn't really want to do retail themselves hence why they charge more than The Incubator Shop (I called Brinsea once to enquire about why they were more expensive when buying directly from them).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS