Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beautiful bull calf  (Read 4285 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Beautiful bull calf
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:16:48 pm »
Daisy finally calved at 9.30pm!!  Been waiting for 2 weeks!!  Cracking bull calf, was a bit worried as I used my neighbours Charolais against lots of advice, however she popped him out with just a gentle tug from me at the shoulders, (would have pushed him out herself but I couldn't help getting involved).  Now listening to a gentle moo every 10 seconds outside my window.  Just love that mummy cow talk!  Nothing more satisfying than an adorable Jersey and her baby.   :cow: :love:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Beautiful bull calf
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:20:29 am »
A photo or two would be nice  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:18:01 am »
Brilliant news! 
 :thumbsup:   :yippee: :yippee:  :excited:  :trophy:

And yes, seconding request for pics  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:35:10 am »
cant attach my photos as the file size is too large.  if someone knows how I reduce file size on an iPhone that would help!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:38 pm »
totally mentally and physically exhausted!!  calf born at 9.30 last night, finally got him feeding at 8pm tonight.  been a very stressfull day.  Daisy been so good with me milking her, bottle feeding calf as he hadn't fed for over 12 hours, adopted on another beautiful Devon calf who fed really well and got the teats nice and soft for my very lazy bull calf.  why is it that bull calves just cant be bothered to feed, or are they just a bit slow???  Can now sleep peacefully knowing both calves have full tummys.  Adoptee is penned of next to them, should be able to have it loose with Daisy and her calf in a  few days.   :relief:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:34:29 pm »
Glad you've got him sooking - and you've reminded us how much we don't miss having Charollais calves!!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:26:10 am »
oh is that a Charollais thing???   Not putting myself through that again!!  In fact I spent all day yesterday saying I was never having anymore calves, ever!! (bit calmer about the whole thing this morning!)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 09:26:19 am »
oh is that a Charollais thing???   Not putting myself through that again!!  In fact I spent all day yesterday saying I was never having anymore calves, ever!! (bit calmer about the whole thing this morning!)

In my very limited experience, I have found bull calves to be slower than heifers.

Focus on the happy outcome and give Daisy a treat  :hugcow:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: Beautiful bull cal
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 10:19:29 am »
When I first came to this farm, the bull was a Charollais and a lot of the calves were dopey about getting on sooking.  Now we have Angus bulls and don't have the problem.  Hereford AI calves have been great, too.

There can be a correlation about birth size and vigour - I guess a large calf has a more arduous birth, which takes it out of them.  Generally bull calves are bigger than heifers, which could account for a perceived gender difference?

And actually, birth size could also be related to breed differences.  We like wee newborns that grow like stink; the continental breeds have a tendency to be born larger, on the whole.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:24:01 am by SallyintNorth »

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:14:21 pm »
All been a bit of a nightmare, calf is feeding fine but Daisy hates her adopted calf.  Last time she calved she accepted the adopted calf straight away, she hates this one!!  Also got to speak to vet today as no sign of placenta 3 days on.  It was hanging out by 12 inches the morning after she calved but then disappeared.  Either she shot it out and ate it without me noticing, or its still in there.  Been sniffing her lady parts and no horrible smell, but think its time for some advice from the vet.  Have made a decision not to have any more calves and concentrate on my sheep, stress levels are way too high  :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »
Been sniffing her lady parts

Aw, bless you - the things you have to do  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS