Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: About me.  (Read 2406 times)

suebwales

• Joined May 2010
About me.
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:28:37 pm »
I'm building a new house and have about 5 acres of land.  I used to have angora goats ans kune kune pigs before the move.  I want to make a willow or hazel patch to grow firewood.  I already have ash trees which I've planed at different heights.  Which type of willow do I need to get?  I remember seeing an advert for trees which within two years grew over ten foot.  These were like cut-and-come again trees.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: About me.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:39:25 pm »
Hi and welcome to TAS! Sounds like an interesting project you have there - where are you?

I've seen the advert too but can't put my hand on it - sorry. Sure someone else will be able to help.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:49:12 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:55:46 am »
Hi and welcome.  Please post on here when you find out, sounds really interesting.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:19:35 am »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:
I've got Kune kunes too  ;D ;D ;D
As for willow - as far as I'm aware once it's established you can quite easily get 6ft of growth a year,(as long as it's not a weeping or dwarf variety) the cut and come again thing is called coppicing and can be done with pretty much any variety of tree (though I think willow's probably the fastest growing ;)) Your ash will make the best firewood ever and doesn't need to be seasoned for quite as long as other wood - good luck and let us know how you're getting on.
Karen x

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:35:48 am »
WElcome from Fife  :wave:

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:56:36 pm »
Hello,

We want to grow Willow on our land as well (if we ever finally complete on the sale). I've been looking at the mammoth willow website www.mammothwillow.co.uk - they have wood fuel kits. Is this the kind of thing you were after?

Susie

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:47:39 pm »
Hi and welcome from Australia.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:32:56 pm »
hello & welcome
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS