Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe with no milk one side  (Read 4559 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
ewe with no milk one side
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:43:41 am »
Morning. We've just noticed that one of our ewes is apparently only letting milk down one side. Her twins are 3 days old and she is a seasoned pro. Her lambing was difficult as 2nd lamb had both legs right back requiring a bit of manoeuvring. She seems fine in herself and is eating and drinking well but both are queing up for the same teat and we cant seem to get anything out the other side at all. No lumpiness or anything untoward, just no milk coming out. She's had abs as a follow up to us intervening during lambing. Any tips, thoughts gratefully received

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: ewe with no milk one side
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:08:46 am »
She could have had mastitis and lost the quarter between weaning and lambing. She will feed two OK in the very short term but will soon struggle. I'd take one off at the first opportunity and foster onto a single. I'd also cull before next lambing. That's just me though  ;D

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:19:39 am »
Hello there.
We had a ewe who only had milk on one side (past mastitis) - she had twins. Was great with them. We offered the bottle from around three days as a top up. They weren't very interested until about three or four weeks - doing fine with mum. Then one twin just came for regular top up bottles each day. Guess I'd just keep a close eye on all three. Good luck!
Our lambing 'started' on Thursday... But so far all ewes keeping their legs crossed!

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:26:59 am »
Had similar to above. Acute mastitis. One cylinder not firing. I'd suggest topping up lambs but not overdoing it or the ewe may dry up. Important to keep the lambs on the ewe imho.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:16:18 pm »
Have started topping up and left them on her for now. They were clearly hungry, so are planning to proceed with offering them half a full bottle baby amount. If its a pain we could always take one off but currently feels easier to try like this. Cheers all

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 12:39:48 pm »
I'm topping up a pair of twins at the mo - mum was poorly and is recovering, but hasn't quite enough milk for two yet.  I deliberated taking one off, as I'm sure she has enough for one, but the bond between siblings is so strong, I decided to keep the family together.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »
Had the same happen last year. Topped both lambs up twice a day but left with mum and they did really well.
Would come running for their bottle then straight back to mum when finished. Both ewe lambs which was good as they became and still are very friendly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS