Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaning?  (Read 1968 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
weaning?
« on: April 15, 2016, 04:27:19 pm »
what time does everyone here typically wean as i have been told many different things, some people wean early others leave lambs on till near fat weight. I have recently just weaned the Jan lambs an some Feb borns but just wanting peoples general opinion  :)
few pics below of few of this years pedigrees an crossbred, which i think look plenty big enough for weaning!

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: weaning?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:45:58 pm »
They are indeed a credit to you. Tell me how long do you keep the ram lambs on before sending them to slaughter? Also are they faster growing than say the Lleyn for example? I keep my lambs with their moms from spring till late summer, say April to late August/beginning of september. The moms wean the lambs themselves when they're 3 1/2 months old.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:49:34 pm by Jullienne »
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »
We wean at ten weeks, maybe earlier for big singles

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:26:39 pm »
They are indeed a credit to you. Tell me how long do you keep the ram lambs on before sending them to slaughter? Also are they faster growing than say the Lleyn for example? I keep my lambs with their moms from spring till late summer, say April to late August/beginning of september. The moms wean the lambs themselves when they're 3 1/2 months old.

some ram lambs are away now , but the majority go by the end of may...the suffolk crosses are generally quicker growing than the lleyn, but we also use a beltex ram for the crossed ewes an they generally take a bit longer before there lambs are ready to go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS