Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A very strange happening.....  (Read 4439 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
A very strange happening.....
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:41:58 am »
We have 6 badger faced welsh mountain sheep and 4 commercial lambs.

On checking them yesterday we found that the lambs have been marked on the back of the neck with a blue spray. It wasn't us!  :o

We're going to ask the neighbours if they saw anything but no-one is really close enough.

Why would anyone do this?????

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: A very strange happening.....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:17:53 am »
Even I haven't heard of that before why mark them there there isn't a blue painted hole in the fencing and they have put their heads through is there.Very puzzling ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:18:51 am »
nothing blue anywhere - and the marks are all in the same place, same size  ???

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:20:31 am »
Are you sure they haven't all strangely rubbed on something blue?  - Just trying to think of something not sinister!

Have you heard of the horse plaiting that goes on?  People come into other people's yards and fields and put a plait in the horses mane.  The initial theory was that they were doing it to mark horses to steal and also as a way to check their temperament.  Then the police decided to put about a story about it being a pagan ritual connected with knot magic (load of rubbish).  However I know loads of people who have had their horses plaited but none have been stolen - so far!

Could just be someone having a laugh.....

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:58:41 am »
This is very strange. I would be notifying animal health first thing in the morning if they were mine. Are your gates padlocked? If not I would put one on there pretty quick.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:51 pm »
We've only been here since december, and we're on friendly terms with the neighbours, but not quite enough 'to have a laugh'.

Been keeping an eye on them very closely today! We have a public bridleway that runs around the back of our land - the lambs are still at a weight where they can be picked up - and they're really friendly as we raised them from 3 weeks.

Hope I'm not sounding too paranoid but this is weird!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:08:38 pm »
I would bring them inside at least overnight, and during the day maybe put them close to the house in some hurdles for a few days. Maybe put eartags on if they haven't got them. Also the blue marker spray stays on for a long time (if thats what it is), my hoggs still have their number from last spring on their side...

If it is that, it can only be a farmer (or someone who keeps/has kept) sheep before, most other people don't know about marker spray.

Up here there have been reports of sheep rustling, but I hope hat my shetland crosses are too wee to be of value to anyone...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:36:47 pm »
Up here there have been reports of sheep rustling, but I hope hat my shetland crosses are too wee to be of value to anyone...

Who would be fast enough to catch them?  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:27:30 am »
Unfortunately Rosemary any good sheepdog.My pal Warwick acquired some I swear they could stand along side (not facing) along side and spring into the air and land the otherside the netting bluddi things.I don't think there was a good dinner on them if you had one each like a pheasant ;D ;D He didn't keep them long.A chap said he would like some of those where did you get them? He got some very Quick next day as I recall.Ben could sort them though a sharp nip on the back end soon learnt them who was master he could jump the wire while running forward.They soon learnt  :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:59 am »
Is there a possibility that they got mixed up with someone else's flock and they were marked so they could be shed easily? a case of mark the few not the many?
Ian

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:21 pm »
I'm thinking maybe the lady down the road (with the HUGE farm!) has some seasonal workers in marking her sheep and they've done my lambs too but I haven't seen her yet to ask!  Our paddock isn't really near anyone else's though! The lambs have ear tags and they are still 'in situ' so the mystery continues - if I find out what's happened I'll let you know!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:27:48 am »
We have 5 hoggets in a friend's field.  He also rents some of his land to a farmer and we turned up one day to find about 105 sheep in the field!  We were dagging ours so when we eventually managed to seperate them, we made sure we marked them well with a big red stripe across their bums.  All was fine until we went to see them a few days later to find the field empty - the farmer had moved all of them to another field!!! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS