Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Steam juicer?  (Read 3350 times)

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
Steam juicer?
« on: April 13, 2016, 05:23:03 am »
Read about a steam juicer online. Of course they say it is amazing. Does anyone have one and if so does it work good? They explain it like a double boiler but with 3 kettles. The top you put your berries or whatever, second there is a upside cone sieve thing and a catcher for the juice and a tap attached . Third you fill with water that you heat and it steams up and cooks the berries to nothing.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Steam juicer?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:25:10 am »
We have one. I like using the pulp that is left over in the dehydrator to make fruit leather.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:52:13 am »
I've got one - it was second hand and the bottom is buckled slightly so best used on a gas burner. Some people report a cooked flavour to the juice but my palate isnt that sensitive.  With the summers we've had just recently I haven't had a surplus of fruit to process in this way.
I'm glad I've got it though!
What make is yours?

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:17:36 pm »
We have gotten it yet just ordered it I think it name was euro-something. I will have to look it up. But it sounds very interesting looking forward to using the juice for wine and jellies, and just plain drinking it ;D

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 02:05:58 pm »
Woohoo :excited:our juicer came. What is the best thing to try in it first apples?

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:12:30 am »
I've not tried apples but used it for red and blackcurrants - tell us how you get on!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:28:15 pm »
They use them in Finland a lot for berries. I have one but haven't braved it. Would love to hear how you get on with apples.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:32:54 pm »
It works great. We did apples and the we did strawberries. The apples we put 4 lbs and got about 12 cups of juice. I forgot to measure the strawberries but we got 10 cups of juice. The strawberry juice we put in jars when it was hot so it sealed. Now when you open a jar the juice got a little thicker just about a syrup, must have some natural pectin in it. So you take about a 1/4 cup and then add ginger ale and depending the the day maybe some vodka , very good drink.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS