Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another hello from Norfolk  (Read 3922 times)

EIEIO

• Joined May 2010
Another hello from Norfolk
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:39 am »
Hi I am Newlypigged partner in crime.  I've known newlypigged for several years now, we met through my now mother inlaw.  In fact what started out as a conversation a month ago in her garden has lead to Newlypigged and me picking up our first two saddlebacks today.  Very excited and scared at the same time.

I am really new to the "good Life" I retired from the Police in 2006 and moved to Norfolk to be with my now wife.  We brought our first home last year which has a really long garden.   :farmer: Plan A was to turn half into veg to then to get chickens, somehow I have managed to jump to plan E and have half a veg garden no chickens but now have :pig: :pig: on the way erm how did that happen ??? oh well I never did follow convention  :D

I love the look of TAS web site and will be looking to you guys for help inspiration and salvation I'm sure in the future.

Right off to mother inlaw to check the new home for the pigs one last time and then sit back and PANIC

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Another hello from Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:08:10 am »
Hi, good luck with the new arrivals.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:19:44 am »
Hello and enjoy your new pigs.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:31:41 am »
Hi and welcome! Best laid plans etc etc - just go with the flow :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:13:10 am »
Hello and welcome from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:
Welcome to the wonderfully adictive world of pig keeping  ;D
I'd make sure the fence between the pigs and the rest of the garden is STRONG (or electric) or you might end up with none of your half veggie patch left and piggies in your kitchen - trust me, I've been there  ;)
Look forward to hearing more from you
Karen x

EIEIO

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:44:26 am »
Hi Karen, We have made the paddock almost like Fort Knotts.  It's a four bar wooden fence fitted with sheep wire and 6" wooden "kickboard" fitted all the way around and for good measure I fitted an electric wire last night.  If they get out then it's my Mother in-laws garden that will suffer.  So if ever there was an incentive not to let them get out that will be it lol

Rob

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:58:33 pm »
Hey Rob, I like the belt AND braces approach ;)  ;D ;D ;D Sounds like you've got it sussed - just check it every now and then as they get bigger to make sure they're not working bits of it loose (I was amazed how quickly mine found a weak spot  :o)
If you're ever in Scotland and fancy doing some more fencing............................. ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:11:04 pm »
Hi and welcome.  Some years ago my OH said yes to 2 pigs for eating (he was on a guilt trip at the time) by the following day when he had reconsidered and decided his crime wasnt that bad, he was too late, I had ordered 2 tamworths and 2 GOS, which in France at that time was some feat.  Now we have 15 large pigs and 24 weaners.  He loves it.  You may find that you soon need to explain to your MIL the necessity for her to sacrifice her veg. patch and garden to your newly expanding herd.  Pigs are wonderful.  Enjoy

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:55 pm »
hello and welcome
Little Blue

EIEIO

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 08:35:20 pm »
Thanks for all the welcome messages, HappyHippy it's a deal :) 

Well Newlypigged and I picked up the boys today and they were soon ensconced  in their new home.  Gill, the lady we brought the pigs from said they would take a couple of days to settle in.  Well they look like they have settled in already, happily furrowing around and both have introduced themselves to the electric fence.  So lets see what tomorrow brings.  It's like being a new dad all over again  :D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 09:00:48 pm »

Hi and welcome from me too. Aren't pigs just brilliant I can't wait till my next batch arrive, I check my email about every 10 minutes as the breeder has promised to let me know so that I can go see them when they are still tiny. I am etting mine a bit later this year to give my land a bit time to recover from the terrible winter and the last pigs. I am trying Oxford sandy and blacks this time but did love the saddlebacks.  :pig: :wave:
Anne

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »
Hi and welcome from Australia,  we have Wessex Saddlebacks, they are houdinies, we have 5 piglets who love to find a way out,  just when you think you have them secure in the paddock Daddy pig comes along and pulls the gate forward and they are free again.  This time I think we have succeeded as they have been contained for nearly a full week, knock on wood.  BTW our pigs love to dig under fences as well.  Have lots of fun ;D  they really are wonderful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS