Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy donkey  (Read 13978 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Re: Itchy donkey
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 06:24:50 pm »
CarolineJ - I haven't had a good look there, but I will now!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 09:52:12 pm »
I have no donkey experience but itchy bum/back legs in horses can be a sign of pinworm.
My horse gets feather mites which make him itchy. It generally effects lower legs but I have found scabs on upper legs and his chest before .
As someone has already said it might (no pun intended!) be best to get a vet to do a skin scrape so you know what your dealing with. There are loads of treatments/lotions & potions out there but if you don't know what the problem is you can spend a lot of money and not get anywhere!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 08:01:19 am »
A lot of donkeys get itchy towards the end of winter.  They only moult once a year and grow a thick coat, not a double coat like a pony.  Anything which works its way down to skin level can create an itch.  It could be my luck but every donkey that has arrived in winter has been itchy and some do itch every spring before the coat starts to come away, I blame them getting too hot for it.  Do not be surprised if you ever clip your donkey if it has what look like whip marks all over the hind quarters, having brought one up from a foal I know that it is due to itching on blackthorn hedges and not cruelty in a past life.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 03:49:21 pm »
Re it being too early for Sweet Itch, just thought I'd update/hijack this thread as my girl for the past few days has now started showing signs of Sweet Itch. Sudocreme always on standby so is now in use.

laurelrus how is your chap doing, has the Sudocreme helped?

:fc:

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 05:22:56 pm »
OhLaLa  - the Sudocreme definitely seems to help!
I've definitely not seen him scratching and rubbing nearly as much. I'm keeping a close eye on him though.
I was at the farm stores the other day and looked at the aisle full of products for itchy horses - there are just so many options and I could end up spending loads of money because the labels claim they're the holy grail of anti-itch products!
I'm trying to groom him more vigorously to help get the winter coat out and hope that is helping as well.
I really appreciate your input and everyone's suggestions and advice  :thumbsup:
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 05:40:39 pm »
just a thought, my gsd gets itchy every spring and after multiple flea treatments we worked out it was from her running through stinging nettles as our place is quite wild.
vet told us to give her piriton.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:23 pm »
That's a good thought, Shygirl.
We've had to give Piriton to our dogs occasionally, the Labrador's tummy gets inflamed and red in the summer which is obviously some kind of allergy, and once the littlest dog needed it for stinging nettles hurting her paws. It's always very effective. I'll ask the vet about giving Piriton to a donkey.

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 04:34:05 pm »
Are there any raised lumps on the skin? Have a really good look in the eyes, anything "blobby" ? What's your worming schedule like?

I suspect onchocerciasis especially with the donkeys drinking from ponds.

Worm them all with ivermectin and see if it clears up.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:47:44 pm by Tattymacintosh »

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »
Tattymacintosh - there are no raised lumps and I've had a really good look. His skin looks completely fine where he's rubbed the fur off, it's just really smooth.
His eyes look good, clear and normal.
I wormed them with Equest at the end of February (a couple of weeks after we got them).
I'm not seeing him rubbing or biting anymore. I don't know if it was the Deosect, the Sudocrem or if he would have stopped anyway. I am grooming him as much as I can to help get rid of the winter coat in case that was the problem
What's your theory?!

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »
Sorry I modified instead of replied duh see above. My little section A gave 6 vets the runaround with this condition. They had never heard of it because with modern worming programs it rarely surfaces x

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 04:52:38 pm »
I'll look that up Tattymacintosh, thanks!

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 04:55:52 pm »
Tattymacintosh - I've looked it up, it sounds awful. We don't have any ponds so the donkeys just drink the water I replace every day. It's a real learning curve though and I appreciate all the input  :)

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 05:15:24 pm »
It really is nasty. It's becoming more prevalent Because everyone is worried about ivermectin tolerance these days and switching to other wormers. Glad you are getting on top of the problem, hope donk  get better soon x

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 08:24:42 am »
My Shetlands are rubbing and rolling a lot. They do this every year when there winter coats are coming out. I have one who is always bothered with hay mites and I use a spray from Barrier H which works well. Maybe a shampoo would help.

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 12:26:33 am »
Our donkeys had a bad reaction to a pour on product a few years ago, never to be repeated, it took off a load of hair and left angry, sore skin.
Sudocreme as previously mentioned and a skin scraping if you suspect any mites. Also a vet the understands donkeys is a boon, ours is very good and understnds the differences from horses.

Ours love a roll in the dirt usually as soon as we brush them! Also as previously mentioned they get a bit manky when the shed their winter coat for summer. If you are regularly running your fingers through there coat when having "donkey time" you will see their coat has a "dust" in it and this comes off on your fingers like a lanolin type substance, it's just the natural oils in their coat.
Also they do occasionally have a wee nip of each other and can pull a bit of hair out when they do that!

Hope that helps.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS