Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy donkey  (Read 13941 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Itchy donkey
« on: April 05, 2016, 03:01:24 pm »
We have had our donkeys for about six weeks now and they're very sweet, and we're very much learning as we go.
I was advised to use Deosect on them at the end of March so did that at the weekend. One of them did seem to be very itchy and has rubbed off quite a bit of his coat on his backside and the tops of his hind legs.
Despite the good drenching in Deosect he still seems to be as itchy and is always rubbing against the stable/tree/wheelbarrow so I'm wondering if there's something else I should do for him.
I did buy some Barrier louse powder when I first saw him rubbing but have since been told it's not got anything useful in it so would be glad of advice.
Thanks very much :)
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Itchy donkey
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:52:34 pm »
I don't know anything about donkeys but can they suffer from sweet itch? I had a pony with it and he always rubbed himself bare on the stable door
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 06:31:45 pm »
It does sound like Sweet Itch    (  hiya Bionic  :wave:  ).
Nip into Boots and pickup some Sudocreme (prob in the baby section, it's usually used on baby's bums!).
Apply a liberal amount to the top of tail and underneath top of tail. Massage it right down into the hair at the top of the tail.
I also rub a bit either side of the top of the tail, onto the skin (i.e. either side of bum).
If your equine is anything like mine they will enjoy the massage.
It will help alleviate the itch, help sooth any raw spots, deter the flies that cause it and help stop the tail breaking away (from excessive rubbing).

NB: Rub a bit on the other raw spots too. If it gets worse, or bleeds, prob best to get the vet to check it.

:horse: :hshoe:

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:50:04 pm »
Thanks OhLaLa. I remember it well from when my children were in nappies! I'll get some tomorrow and hopefully sort things out
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:48:50 pm »
was he itchy before deosect?

there are limits on the bottle about how much to use per m2.
just mentioning this because when we used it the first time, we must have under-diluted it and the mare reacted badly, must have stung and she took off, desperate to roll.
never had a problem with properly diluted deosect but using it does take them out of the food chain..

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 07:51:25 pm »
not many midges out where we are, for sweet itch yet?
barrier lice powder does help with lice but you will see lice. speaking from experience when one bought-in pony spread it to 20 others.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:35 pm »
I agree it's too early for sweet itch. My mule gets it about June onwards, and I find that pig oil and suphur keeps it at bay.

My donkeys often get itchy in winter - I think it's due to mites in the straw or hay. Again, you can treat it with pig oil (liquid paraffin) + sulphur, or use cattle pour on wormer, ie Ivomec or similar. If you don't know anyone with cattle, you can get a smallish bottle from agricultural suppliers. (Don't tell them it's for donkeys.) Use it at double the cattle rate/kg and you'll then have your donkeys wormed as well.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:45:54 am »
shygirl - he was itchy when we got him. I definitely diluted the Deosect correctly, it just hasn't made any difference to the rubbing and biting. I tried the Barrier powder first but I've had a really good look and I can't see any lice.
Landroverroy - I wormed them as soon as I got them but thanks for the advice about pig oil and sulphur.
It's another learning curve!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 08:53:07 am »
Yes a bit early for Sweet Itch, but it can depend on location too, I'm already seeing clusters of midges.

It can also depend if near any water (ponds etc) or damp ground which also attracts midges, mosquitoes.     Also water troughs....

* The Sudocreme is worth a try, bless him. I always have a couple of pots of it at the ready.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:33:08 pm by OhLaLa »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:10:49 am »
I would suspect lice or mites. You will only know it is mites from a skin scraping. Nothing much is licenced for donkeys but if you don't know what you are treating then I wouldn't go pouring on more chemicals until you know. 

It is early for sweet itch unless he is very sensitive in which case I would suggest he wouldn't have a good mane or tail and his skin would be hardened in these areas from years of rubbing. He would also be rubbing his head and neck as this is where midges like to gather around so I would be surprised if it is sweet itch. However, if it is sweet itch and he is rubbing now ahead of the sweet itch time, you need to think about how you will manage it or he is going to be very sore, very soon

I would get the vet or better still take him to the vet. Get a proper diagnosis and hopefully nip it in the bud now.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:29:14 am »
I would say mites.

Or if patchy, could be lice, off hay or straw. 

Or have you introduced any new feed or forage?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »
Maybe I'm reading the post wrong, i thought the o.p. said they had treated for lice/mites?
Anyhow, let us know how you get on laurelrus.
Best wishes.

PS: When I got my girl she had practically no tail left from rubbing. She has a strong thick tail now, and no hard areas from rubbing - never did have though. Mane never been affected.

laurelrus - biting? what area?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:03:54 pm by OhLaLa »

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 02:43:26 pm »
Ohlala - He is rubbing his backside and the tops of his hind legs and he's rubbed off a lot of fur on those areas. He does have a very sparse tail.
The other donkey doesn't appear to be itchy but she has a bald patch (small, bigger than a 50p but not much) in the middle of her face. I could put photos if that would help.
We don't have water but there are ponds in the neighbours field close by.
I'm sudocreming him today and for the next couple of days but if that doesn't help I'll speak to the vet.
Thanks for all the input.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 03:53:08 pm »
consider ringworm

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »
You've probably already checked, but have you had a look between his buttocks?  I had a pony who was a bit on the chunky side when he arrived, who spent most of the first day scratching his hind end on various strainer posts - on inspection, he'd obviously got sweaty at some point and had chafed really badly, poor chap.  Took about a week of a mild antiseptic cream twice a day and I got some very funny looks from the neighbours, who'd inevitably drive past when I was up to my elbow between his thighs applying a handful of cream and he had his head stuck in the air with his top lip curling up in a blissful expression!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS