Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fluid on the lungs?  (Read 2543 times)

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
Fluid on the lungs?
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:42:20 pm »
Apologies if this is repeating past posts, but limited time to look.  Just had a set of twins born naturally.  The second twin out seemed to be struggling to breathe - we cleared its mouth and nose, stuck a bit of straw up each nostril and swung it a couple of times.  It seemed to improve a bit but then started going downhill again.  It has no energy to get up.  The ewe knows something is wrong and is concentrating more on the first twin.  We got to the point where we've done what we can and are crossing our fingers that he will still be alive in the morning - however, should we stomach tube some colostrum into him or is this going to make him worse at this stage?

Any help appreciated....

Tam

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Fluid on the lungs?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:09:16 am »
Take lamb home and put in a warm box, it will be dead by the morning if you don't stoke it's tiny flame.  Take home put in warm area in a box but still airy on towels or old jumper, make sure he s towelled dry first. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:14:08 am by Hellybee »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:12:57 am »
Sorry I have to post again my iPad is glitchy.

To continue,  it is imperative that navel is sprayed with iodine, and yes tube some colostrum in, if you hve a baby bottle perhaps you can try it with a small lamb teat if you have one, perhaps lamb will take that but otherwise  Please do a little research to tube as you could get the wrong hole.   Don't let lamb get too warm either but make comfortable and some time on your lap would be a good idea.  Good luck

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:15:53 am »
It you can get hold of a tiny dose of spectam scour halt or orojet from vet that would help too IMHO

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:29 am »
Don't know why I was questioning myself really - he stands a better chance with colostrum in him than without.  Just tubed a good 100 ml in (def got the right hole, he baa'ed when the tube was right down!).  Fingers crossed till morning  :fc:  thank you for replying.

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 05:51:31 am »
He died in the night  :'(

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:38 am »
Very sorry to hear, I hope the other is doing well  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS