Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Licks  (Read 1930 times)

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Licks
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:49:14 pm »
What are the benefits to licks if any?  Are they worth giving and when should they be given to the flock... I haven't ever used them but see them more and more regular now and was wondering what they are really about. Opinions appreciated

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Licks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:20:04 am »
my opinion is that it partly depends on the state of your land and stocking rates, , partly depends on what else you feed them and partly depends on time of year. I always have salt out as I believe that a ruminant needs sodium available at all times for good rumen health, and there's not usually much in grass. apart from that i'm never sure whether there's enough trace elements in most buckets, or just a big block of molasses but still stick one out through tupping and up to and after lambing just in case. I favour lifeline buckets, with selenium, iodine which are vital in ensuring good health, there's also zinc for feet, calcium for good bones teeth etc, the list is fairly endless. poss test your land and fresh leaf grass to see if anything lacking

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS