Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stressy first timer  (Read 2490 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Stressy first timer
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:06:35 pm »
The most stressed out of my first timer ewes lambed down really well all on her own outside. All I had to do was bed her down in a temporary pen.
I moved her to a pen closer to the other ewes and lambs and let her out with two others after a couple of days... She freaked, chased and tried to pin down the other lambs. We penned her up again with a small amount of pasture next to her "friends", she took a day before she could bear to let her lamb anywhere near another ewes and still after 3 days reverts to her pen if anything happens!
How long do you think I should give it before I reintroduce her back wth them. I use 4 wire electric fencing which they all respect really well but a battle mist it would not be great!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Stressy first timer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 12:32:21 am »
Don't think anyone can answer that - it will be trial and error. Blimey aren't sheep real characters? ( or should that read pains in the bum!)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 01:03:25 am »
We have one or two odd bods, they don't like us at all, very stompy, but very good mothers, the type that won't let they're kids play out for ages and yes they do bolt.  Perhaps yours is just temporarily spun out by it all and will settle, our ones are just fruitcakes  :innocent:

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 12:39:40 pm »
I'd be pretty sure she'll calm down if you're patient with her and the situation. If she's a first timer it will all be new to her, she'll suss it out eventually.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 12:53:02 pm »
What breed is she ?        this is a long way  from normal

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »
Sounds like she's a very protective mother, not wanting other lambs near her that may steal from her milk, and not wanting her lamb to be near other ewes that might hurt it.
Watch and see, if she's happy with her lamb, it's just a matter of time until she'll be comfortable back in the flock and you'll see her settle down. Sounds like it's perfectly natural and you're doing everything right to introduce her gently back to the flock.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »
Butting away any lambs that come near is normal but chasing and trying to pin down other lambs is not , im sure she'll calm down given time

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »
All is fine now, introduced her to the rest the flock and all has calmed down fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS