Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tup thoughts: input please!  (Read 6720 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Tup thoughts: input please!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:42 pm »
I can talk, from personal experience, about Texel, Beltex, Dutch Texel and Charollais.  They will grow, and finish, without cake (and we're Severely Disadvantaged Cumbrian upland here), but would take slightly longer and might not hit quite such high grades. 

People get hung up about head size, but head size isn't the issue.  Shoulders and bums are (or can be) the issue.  With the breeds in your mix, there's no reason to think your ewes would have narrow birth canals or pelvises, so you're unlikely to have problems, provided you don't cake single-bearers and don't overdo the cake for others.

(We've lambed more than 40 Mules so far this year, and over 50 Texel and other types.  All to Texel and Texel x Beltex tups.  We had to assist two of the Mules; one had one coming backwards, and the other was a large single - we don't scan and they had all been caked for 7 weeks before lambing.)

We've had two Charollais tups, and all their lambs were very easy lambed, active at birth, grew well, hit target weights and conformation quicker than their Texel and Beltex cross peers.  The 'skin' (fleece) is thinner, and you may need to be able to bring ewes in and/or jacket lambs in vile weather.  We were advised to get a tup with plenty of wool on his head, as his lambs would be less bare, and we did find that to be the case. 

We don't have Charollais tups now, as we kept a lot of the daughters on as breeders, so a Charollais on our ewes now would give too thin a skin for a Cumbrian upland outdoor lambing.

If the Dutch Texel hadn't been anglicised I would recommend one of them.  Small lambs, very active, finer skins so easier lambed, but fast-growing and able to do on grass.  However, last time we shopped for a Dutch Texel tup we found them to have been bred to be overlarge, almost indistinguishable from the Texel, so didn't want to risk it.

Someone will be along soon to sing the praises of the Charmoise...   :-J

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 11:13:26 pm »
Another idea would be Ryeland  :idea:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 12:08:35 am »
 :wave: easycare tup ticks most your boxes and they are not to expensive .

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 10:39:54 am »
Another idea would be Ryeland  :idea:
We run our Ryeland tup with the girls for most the year and are usually together at lambing. Definitely docile. Hardy and seem to keep weight on by just thinking about food!!
Very easy lambing, but slower growing lambs. Very tasty though!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 05:47:28 pm »
  http://wensleydale-sheep.com/   if you want to keep it local.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 06:39:44 pm »
I use a southdown tup on cheviot mules achieving U3L when slaughtered  :thumbsup:
No lambing problems and fast growing.
I've sold several tups to a farmer with a thousand Scotch mules lambing outdoors who was fed up with Continental sired lambs dying from exposure.  A Down crossbreed should be hardy (have you ever been up on the South Downs when there's a gale blowing off the English Channel?), finish off grass and have a good carcase.  We cross ours with Badger Face.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 10:39:49 pm »
Having moved from Exmoor to Northumberland and then Cumbria, I can state categorically that for any weather you can cite 'down South', what we get up here is of a different order.  We lamb 250 ewes outdoors on severely disadvantaged Cumbrian upland every year, in March mainly, all or nearly all to continental tups.  Yes we would bring in a lambing ewe on an evil night, and yes we jacket newborns if the weather is vile.  But if the ewes are bred for it, and there's shelter for the lambs - reshes are great! - and the ewes are fed sufficiently to have plenty of colostrum, then there's no reason an appropriately-bred continental tup shouldn't sire perfectly hardy lambs.

Which is not to say I wouldn't be very interested to try a Downs tup one year, if I could get BH to agree!

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 12:18:01 am »
Oh the choices are endless! 

Thank you for all your imputs: I've got plenty to ruminate on now.  It'll probably boil down to whatever is conveniently close and affordable (I wonder just how much those delicious Border Leicesters just up the road are.. :innocent:) come the time, but living in sheep country, that probably won't narrow it down much either!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 07:05:46 pm »
If you can do slower-growing on grass then Cheviot or other native breed would be very suitable, I'd have thought.  I've no personal experience of Cheviot tups, though, as to whether they are docile or not.  [member=28984]mowhaugh[/member] might be able to comment.

I don't know what Ellie Stokeld charges for her Border Leicester tup lambs, but they don't send anything away fat, so she must have some to sell that aren't 'top drawer' but would be fine for your job...  :innocent:

Like anything, there is a variety, but in general, South Country Cheviots are NOT docile (stone mad!) where North Country Cheviots are a bit quieter. Still think docile might be going a bit far, though!

I haven't had time to read the whole thread, so sorry if I am way off mark here, but we put our draft age cheviots to a Berrichon, this produces ewes which are fairly hardy (live in our fields rather than hill, but still at 700ft and LFA), lamb at about 200% and are outstanding mothers and very milky. The Berrichon tups are very docile.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS