Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 3039 times)

Dave Taylor

• Joined Oct 2015
Fencing
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:21:20 pm »
Hi,

We are looking at getting our first pigs, and are looking at using stock fencing and barbed wire to keep them in.

Having just been on ebay, everyone has what looks like very similar fencing for sale at completely different prices. Ranging from £40 per 50mx1m high to over £120 for the same.

We would prefer to use stock fencing and add barbed wire so we wont have to rely on batteries for electric to keep them in.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for which fencing to buy? The idea is we will dig posts into the ground, and also dig the fencing into the ground by about three foot. And have the fencing at least a metre high above ground. Our planned plot already has three solid walls, so only one side needs to be fenced.

Thanks
Dave

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Fencing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »
I wouldn't dig fence posts or fence in. Get them put in with a post knocker. General stock netting fine. Get it tightened properly. Barbed wire at the bottom. If you can get a contractor in . It will be worth the cost in the long run. :)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 05:31:55 pm »
What harmony said. We've also found a rail on the inside at about 18-24 inches reduces stress/wear on the stock netting considerably.

Aharrold

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:29:53 pm »
I just use 3 strands of string/wire electric fencing and a leisure 12v battery. You'll find the pigs quickly get used to the fence and stay clear of it. My battery lasts around 8 weeks before needing a charge. I'm now looking at adding on a solar panel to boost the battery and extend its life between charge. Far cheaper than a stock fence which you will find your pigs building earth up against, pushing, chewing at etc

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 09:21:01 pm »
I just use 3 strands of string/wire electric fencing and a leisure 12v battery. You'll find the pigs quickly get used to the fence and stay clear of it. My battery lasts around 8 weeks before needing a charge. I'm now looking at adding on a solar panel to boost the battery and extend its life between charge. Far cheaper than a stock fence which you will find your pigs building earth up against, pushing, chewing at etc

In contrast, we do use electric, but merely to sub-divide our larger stock fence pens. The amount of times pigs have rooted, earthed out the fence and had it down would mean we'd have lost pigs all over the village!

We use stock fence with a single low strand of electric on the inside to keep them from undermining the stock net

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »
digging in a fence by 3 ft is a lot of work.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:09:27 pm »

I use stock fence around the perimeter and a single strand of electric wire 20cm from the ground as that prevents digging under the fence.  Much less effort than digging 3 foot down!  A simple solar charged energiser will do, once the pigs have felt it a couple of times it does not matter if the charge drops from time to time as they tend to leave it well alone.
In contrast, we do use electric, but merely to sub-divide our larger stock fence pens. The amount of times pigs have rooted, earthed out the fence and had it down would mean we'd have lost pigs all over the village!

We use stock fence with a single low strand of electric on the inside to keep them from undermining the stock net

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 02:52:50 pm »
Can't work out who said what, and what you've added, [member=30154]pharnorth[/member] !
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 03:18:33 pm »
Not sure how that happened Sally, managed to get someone else's sentence in the middle of mine. Guess I should stop trying to use the Internet and stick to mucking out pigs. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS