Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel and the law Scotland?  (Read 15778 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Cockerel and the law Scotland?
« on: April 02, 2016, 06:55:23 am »
Can someone point me in the direction of any legislation about Cockerel in Scotland, noise etc.

We have a new neighbour just moved in and immediately started complaining, admittedly it's spring and there louder than normal. They are housed at night and no one else has complained.

We only have 2 for about 20 females as we want different breeding groups.

We do live in a village but have a huge garden and they are as far away from property as is reasonably possible.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Cockerel and the law Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:15:15 am »
I think it depends on the noise levels ie decibels.

Ours are housed and I can hear them at 4am. They don't wake me but if I'm awake, I hear them.

Try killing one and putting it on their doorstep so they can see the consequences of their bleating. :stir:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:18:26 am »
I showed them the body of the spare I'd killed when I acquired a new one (I only want 2 and got an upgrade) they don't care I get the impression if I killed all the Cockerel then they'd start on the chooks...

Sorry am raging this morning... Ben is shaking in fear currently cos the angry man woke him up...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:00:50 am »
This is a difficult one, however if they complained to the authorities about it you could then say you have had them for years before they came and no complaints. What do people expect if they live in the country?  The best thing could be, or maybe not, is to explain to the peolle, via a letter if you like, about what you do and have done for many years and also about how it is part of your business and livelihood to breed them and how youre well respected by your buyers for breeding good quality stock. I hope this helps and that everything works out for your sake. All the best and keep us updated? :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 09:06:04 am »
Sometimes (depending on the arseiness of the neighbour) it's easier just to move them on somewhere else.....i speak from painful personal experience  :( Ours took umbrage at our free ranging "guinea-turkey things" walking across his field and thus started his barrage of calls to everyone he could think of.... I had planning out (he thought I needed planning permission to breed pigs - on an agricultural holding!) we had animal health visit (apparently my livestock were neglected....AH were extremely apologetic after meeting the menagerie) and it went on and on. It got to the stage where the kids couldn't even go and play in the garden as they were being accused of throwing stones at their dogs (in a metal run, 30 feet feet from our garden - turned out it was their kids dropping the stones in themselves!)
A neighbour dispute, especially if he's a shouty, angry one, doesn't make for a happy home life and from my point of view, I'd try to avoid it.
He's got a chance of managing to get rid of the cockerels on a noise order, but no chance with the chickens. You have my sympathies David, even if my advice isn't very good  ;) Good luck!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 09:19:38 am »
Personaly,
Ignore , don't enter into any conversation verbal or written ( stops the " he said , she said ") you were there first ,same scenario as moving next to an airport  . Their problem if they moved in with eyes wide shut. Throbbers like that really annoy me  >:( >:( >:(

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 12:29:13 pm »
Sorry for your situation Bloomer.
We don't have chooks but we do have 2 call ducks and she is LOUD.  I have wondered if our neighbours would get annoyed and I keep asking our direct neighbours if they can hear her.  Thankfully they don't and they love seeing the ducks out and about on the shared drive.
Your new neighbours must have heard the birds when they were looking at the house  ???
Even your old neighbours might have been quizzed by the new neighbours.
I personally wouldn't worry but it would be good to keep us updated on the situation.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 06:24:00 pm »
Have they rented or bought?  Did they see/hear the birds when viewing?

I got rid of my cockerel becasue a neighbour mentioned that it bothered him more than my dogs, but I wasn't breeding - your situation is different!

This is what I've googled so far - English and Scottish law are different remember
http://www.poultryclub.org/poultry/guidelines-for-keeping-cockerels/

From North Ayrshire Council -
Annoying Creatures
Where a complaint is made to Environmental Health regarding creatures which give reasonable cause for alarm or annoyance (eg dogs barking for prolonged periods of time/or at unsociable hours, cockerels crowing) advice is given to members of the public regarding making an application to the Justice of the Peace Court for an order to be made to prevent the continuance of the annoyance. This application is made in terms of Section 49 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 and by the person or persons who are being subjected to the annoyance.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 06:43:57 pm »
Yup, I'm torn, the law says it had to be a continuous and persistent nuisance which I  would argue he isn't as I know it will calm down in a couple of months...

He brought the house fully knowing we had chooks but they viewed in winter when they are at the quietest, my problem is I can stand up for my rights or I can opt for an easy life...

His attitude makes me think screw him, but my personality thinks I don't need the stress, I came up with a plan today, we have an old shed much further down the hill from the houses where I have sorted an overnight hides hole for him, although it means I have to move him twice a day morning and evening I'm going to try it for a bit and see if the complaints stop!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 07:21:44 pm »

I've never tried this, and I've no idea what the welfare issues would be, but would a cock respond to a lightweight hood, like captive birds of prey, to keep him quiet first thing?  It's usually the early morning crowing people object to.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »

I've never tried this, and I've no idea what the welfare issues would be, but would a cock respond to a lightweight hood, like captive birds of prey, to keep him quiet first thing?  It's usually the early morning crowing people object to.

Clansman on here used a collar-its a velcro strap basically. doesn't stop them crowing but does liit the amount of air and therefore the loudness. even if they just wore one overnight it might do the trick? keeping them dark doesn't always do it IME, they react to birds singing anyway.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 10:24:55 pm »
I tried the collar thing. It helped reduce the volume, but not very significantly.  I possibly didn't put it on tight enough!

Offgridgreg

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Saddleworth
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 11:45:14 pm »
Hi
Move the cockerel away for a bit like your doing.. It will be seen by any council your making the effort also
If he does complain to them you'll get a letter, ring them tell them the chooks are not let out till after 7a.m and
You've now moved them to accomodate the complainant,if he pushes it to try and get a noise abatement order they'll put recording equipment
In his bedroom to record the levels, the council will be aware some people are more sensitive to these things than others,the cockerel will have to be virtually sat on the equipment the register a level that is deemed a nuisance and if it isn't then there's nothing anyone can do because it wouldn't register, don't back down stick to your guns if it's the cockerel it probably be something else down the line.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 10:04:15 am »
Thanks all

I believe I have done all I can, big Cockerel spent the night in solitary as far away as I could get him safely.

From our room I couldn't hear him at all so hopefully it's enough.

Will keep you informed if anymore follow up...

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 12:27:52 pm »
Iv been sent a inforcment notice twice and the next time a fine. Houses have been build on croft land and cockerels are part of the country side. I will not get rid of them no matter whot. Iv made things better could try a collar. It will cost more to fine me first they have to visit very erley and see if the noise is to a high desabel. Then send a warning first. So don't do eney think.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS