Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need for a vent?  (Read 2184 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Need for a vent?
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:06:28 pm »
In the re planning of our kitchen we have found a vent through the wall ( behind a cupboard and thus of somewhat limited use in the last 10 years or so we guess) Our builder says this can and should be closed off but I have a query about why it would have been there. There is a modern oilfired stanley range cooker which also serves the central heating in this room. The cooker has a chimney flue as you might expect. Should I not retain this vent? It is huge, size of a cat flap. If i should retain it does it have to be so big?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Need for a vent?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:13:53 pm »
It might be worth talking to the people who sold you the house, they might know. It does sound rather peculiar. Could we have a picture of it to give us a better idea?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 01:49:21 pm »
Logically, if the only reason you might need to retain it is for the range cooker, why not ask Stanley about it?  They should easily be able to confirm whether it is required or not.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »
Two good ideas - both followed. The previous owners thought it unnecessary and covered it up. Stanley suppliers based in Devon have been really helpful and tell me that there is a requirement for a vent and so it is staying. The new kitchen as currently designed would have simply placed another cupboard there but we will now have a vent running from the plinth. On the basis that it has been fuctioning without any ventilation for years it says something about the draughts in this house - but I am happier with the plan to reinstate a designated air flow.
Thank you both!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS