Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adding on calves  (Read 1562 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Adding on calves
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:37:43 am »
Probably more a message for SinN!!  Last time Daisy calved I added on one calf so she reared 2 and I weaned at 7 months.  Tempted to put 2 extras on her this time as she had more than enough milk last time.  However she has one dead quarter from mastitis last time so only has 3 quarters.  Will this be enough for 3 calves?  don't want to over do it but also don't want her producing too much milk for 2 calves. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Adding on calves
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:19:41 pm »
Hiya.  I've no personal experience here, but the farm where I helped with their Guernseys used to say that the cows produced the same amount of milk overall, just from the three good quarters.  However, even if that weren't true, a Jersey who's a good milker will have plenty for three - and she'll make sure her own calf gets plenty.  Do you run them all together all the time, or let the calves on for feeding?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:57:01 pm »
They run together all the time once she has accepted her adopted child!  That is my one concern, they go off down the meadows for the summer so I cant easily supplement feed Daisy if necessary as the other cows will fight for her food.  If she struggled with 3 I would have a bit of a problem.  Think I have talked myself into only putting one extra on!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:32:12 pm »
I agree, in those circs, one extra is probably best.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS