Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing up fast  (Read 2843 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Growing up fast
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:53:41 pm »
Hard to believe little Wilbur is now 10 months old.  Separated from his mother 3 weeks ago, just took him straight away from her, and in with a gelding and the big mare.  He did try and have his wicked way with the mare, who kindly stood further down the hillside to help him!!  A very odd couple with him being 13hh and her 16hh.

He was castrated yesterday, and all went well.

Here he is waiting for the vet to arrive

And after a 20 minute nap in the corner of the field, to get over the sedation, Wilbur went off with his mates to graze - no longer a colt, but a gelding!!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:55:50 pm by Roxy »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Growing up fast
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:55:47 pm »
Glad all went well Roxy, he's a big fella for being so young, I am used to my wee miniature shetlands.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:01:36 am »
 :D He would tower over your shetlands, James.  He should turn out a bit bigger than the Fell pony next to him in the photo.  Probably will weigh in at about 600kgs when fully grown.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:58 am »
Aah poor boy, my Sonnii had a try before he was gelded but unfortunately the mare kicked him into some barbed wire which the owners of the property didn't tell me they had left there and the grass had grown over it  >:(, but that was a long time ago now.  Later just before he was gelded he had his wicked way with her he was such a gentleman I was told (he didn't get her pregnant by the way), he was gelded the next day poor boy.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:09:24 am »
Amazing how resilient they are compared to humans.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:05:42 pm »
Now if that was a man .....well, there would be some moaning and groaning, and reaching for pain relief :D  Wilbur had a 24 hour pain killer jab on the day, but nothig more.  Just watching the swelling does not get too big now.  He is walking a bit stiffly on his back legs, but that is to be expected.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS