Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hanging metal gate from stone wall  (Read 9402 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Hanging metal gate from stone wall
« on: March 30, 2016, 11:12:09 am »
I need to hang a 9ft metal gate, but I need to hang it off the side of a stone walled building.  What's the best way to do this?

Victorian Farmer

Re: Hanging metal gate from stone wall
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 11:38:19 am »
Self  grip anger bolts drill the right size and then wind the gate hangers onto the wall

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:50:41 am »
ahh ...anchor bolts!   of course, thanks :D

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:52:47 am »
Alternatively if the wall is too loose or has no decent flat surface to work with heres another way  which will work so long as the wall is an old barn or such like...obviously not if it is your living room !:

Drill right through the wall at high level and low level, 13mm holes..  Use M12 threaded rod pass through the holes.  Put  spreader plates/ large washers on the inside, and fasten a suitable sized timber post to the out side. Pack/shim between the wall and the post so the post ends up vertical when tightened up.  Now simply fix gate hinges to the timber post in the normal way  using coach screws and appropriate hate hanging hinges.

http://products.ironcdn.co/156753.jpg?w=170&quality=80&ts=3032016

Depending on the type of stone, attempting to drill holes close together for anchor bolts to suit fastenening a hinge like this directly to the wall may result in the stone shattering.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:44:55 pm by stufe35 »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 12:04:33 pm »
Yeah I thought about something like that, but this wall is rather thick!  I think the exterior surface is flat enough (just) ... or with a bit of chiselling it could be made flat enough :).
Just need to figure out how to do the slamming side now ... the gate will close flush onto a dry stone wall (well, dry ish, with a bit of cement here and there).  I think it'll be a matter of cementing in an eyelet or latch.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:00:26 pm »
I'm not sure I'd want to try it but there's an excellent chance that you could bond a 3" square length of steel tube (or timber) directly to the wall with gap-filling brown foamy glue.. a lot of surface area and that glue is rated for marine use and stone to steel.

I once built a fitted cupboard system in a  house with crappy horsehair and lime over broken lathes plastered walls.. that wouldn't take a fixing. I used 1/2" battens bonded to the wall with PVA (indoors) just tacked with nails 'til it set. To test I hung by my fingertips.. all 100KG of me happily held solid. When you realise that a 6ft x 1/2" batten is 36 sq in at atmospheric suction of 15lbs/sq in and well distributed over that rubbish plaster then there was way more than enough spare holding capacity. I tested the finished item by climbing onto the shelves and bouncing. It was still sound when we sold the place 20years later.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 02:19:17 pm »
We have used chemfix to anchor hinges into stone (granite) in the past - OH's company does gate automation so we mess around with gates quite alot..... :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS