Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: two ewes four lambs  (Read 3801 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
two ewes four lambs
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:27:43 am »
Two ewes, four lambs.  All born yesterday.  I didn't see any born and the mothers don't seem to know whos is whos.  The lambs all seem to be getting a drink.  I'm certain I've seen two lambs drinking from both mothers.  It seems that one ewe is dominant and chasing the other off and keeping whatever three lambs she happens to have at foot at the time. 

What should I do?
Never ever give up.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: two ewes four lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:24 am »
Can you pen them up, each ewe with two lambs?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:48 am »
Pen them up, give them two each and let them mother up.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:18 am »
 It doesn't really matter which lambs belong to which mother as long as they're all getting fed. Which you say they are.
 So you can either pen each ewe separately with 2 lambs and see how they get on and let them out as soon as everyone's happy.
 Or you can just leave them as they are, and just keep checking that all the lambs are getting their fair share of milk. Lambs are extremely persistent, so as long as you're sure that they've all worked out where the milk comes from, I'd be inclined to leave them to it.
 I once had 2 ewes that shared 3 lambs in this way and it worked very well. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:22:16 pm »
^^^^^
All I'd add is that they need to be separated so that the dominant ewe doesn't affect the other one's milk production by bullying lambs from her.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »
Have been here many times ,  separate and move the lambs around to see who will accept who  , the dominant ewe might take any but the other ewe might be difficult , you should tell quickly as they will bash the lamb they don't like

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 01:08:59 pm »
^^^^^
All I'd add is that they need to be separated so that the dominant ewe doesn't affect the other one's milk production by bullying lambs from her.

If at all possible pen them where they can't hear or see each other.

I would definitely separate them, to save problems further down the line, by which time it will be more difficult to sort.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:43 pm »
Definitely incarcerate them separately and keep a watchful eye.  Sometimes a ewe loves all the lambs when her hormones are raging, but as they subside, she remembers which is her lamb and which isn't, and starts to reject the interloper(s).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 06:00:33 pm »
I had this situation on my shift night before last.  Typical both brown faced ewes so very similar marked lambs, just stood and watched for a while, looked for chattering pushin, licking, housed and happy within five mins, phew.  Defo split the ewes we would x

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 11:57:06 am »
Great news! They sorted themselves out. :excited: :relief:    :fc: .  I was keeping an eye on them all all day and by the end of the day we had a firm 2 lambs with each ewe.

Thank you all so much for your advice,  its all good for next time. 
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS