Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curly kale  (Read 4328 times)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Curly kale
« on: March 12, 2016, 05:02:52 pm »
We have curly kale planted last autumn that is doing nothing, plants still small with a rosette of leaves but it's just not growing !! Anyone any ideas please  :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Curly kale
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 05:55:54 pm »

Which variety is it?  When did you sow it? When did you plant it out?  Was it in pots?  Were the roots potbound on transplanting?  Did it go into fertile soil?  Is it overshadowed by trees?  Has it been too dry?  Is it outside or in a tunnel?  Is it swamped with weeds?

Mine is luxuriant (sorry).  Grown in tunnel, sown May last year, planted out around Aug I think, not potbound .  Kept nicely moist.  We've been picking it since the autumn and it's started to produce side shoots now.

If the answers to all the above questions show up no problem then a mulch of well rotted compost around the roots, lightly hoed in, plus a liquid feed of general veg feed might give it a boost.  Don't be put off growing it again - it's wonderful stuff  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 12:23:31 am »
I've never been keen on curly kale but recently tried the black one and now I'm hooked. Planning on growing some this year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 01:05:50 am »
I've never been keen on curly kale but recently tried the black one and now I'm hooked. Planning on growing some this year.

The trick MGM is only to eat the small bright green leaves from near the top, and leave the big coarse leaves to feed the plant.  Leaves up to about 10cm are fine.  The plants also produce sprouts (not button type) which are small and tender.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 11:27:46 am »
OH heavily into Curly Kale.. I eat it but not hat impressed. My usual lazy/ignorant way of growing stuff... start 20 seeds each type brassica now and then every few weeks..plant them out when a reasonable size and soemthing will grow sometime..
Germinate them indors when too cold, grow on in greenhouse for plantng out ..as weather improves they get started outside.
I did 2 trays of 40 cells each day before yesterday.. C Kale, Brussels, 3 sorts cabbage, cauli and PSB 10-15 of each

Agai in my lazy way I chuck all the spare chicken bedding, and woodchips and similar on last years veggie patch, topper it, let weeds resprout, spray it down and plough it in. It rots down enough by next season.

Right now it's a tad cold for the kale in the veggie patch to be growing that fast. there's about a dozen plants and pickable perhaps once or twice a week for one person. PSB doing fine though and stll sprouts on the brussels from november.

(ive got a couple hundred leeks still)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 07:34:31 pm »
I've a few plants like that still and a fair few unfinished leeks, think it is weather related as the beds are heavy wet with constant rain tho they do drain ok.  Not sure whether to leave them longer or pull up and start over. 

The majority of the beds are now dug and de weeded bar this area and the perpetual spinach.  Again I'm torn, about how perpetual to let it be!  Don't think I will buy more PS seed but I can't do without curly kale!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:14:30 pm »

Kimkimmy

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:21:50 pm »
Our kale is very healthy but not a huge fan until I tried kale crisps. Just cut into bite size pieces coat in olive oil season and crisp in oven for 5 mins or so until crisp. Its wonderful !!! And healthy.
You either get it right or you learn

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »
Our kale is very healthy but not a huge fan until I tried kale crisps. Just cut into bite size pieces coat in olive oil season and crisp in oven for 5 mins or so until crisp. Its wonderful !!! And healthy.

Sounds scrummy  :yum:  Sounds like when it's used as a seaweed substitute in Japanese cooking.

Mine is still going strong, producing lots of side shoots, sweet and tender.  PSB sprouting its wee (huge actually) heart out.  There's too much of each for us, with only 4 curly kale and 2 PSB.  The sheep are starting to lick their lips, as they get the plants once they've flowered.

[member=50618]Melmarsh[/member] , did you find any of the comments helpful?

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:12:10 pm »
Ours was prolific. I bought 6 plants, gave 2 to friends and only planted 3 with one left in a pot on the he patch. The plant in the pot grew to about 2 feet and rooted through the bottom of the pot. Those I planted week taller than the Brussels and kept us and our meat rabbits going for some months. Worth growing as its great in stir fry or grazed under some meat in oven. Good with grated beetroot and ginger and sesame seeds.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 09:19:05 pm »
Sorry I hadn't got back, yes read all comments, fed the kale and now the weather in our area is a little warmer the kale is starting to grow slow but sure !! I love any dark green so would have been disappointed if it hadn't grown.  We usually have perpetual spinach through the winter but hadn't this one . :wave:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 11:08:37 am »
My neighbour gave me some plants of Russian kale which the rabbits promptly nipped the lead shoots from, and then again when it regrew.  It's sulked all Winter but now taken off like a rocket.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS