Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help unexpected dead lamb  (Read 5421 times)

brookdale

• Joined Dec 2012
Help unexpected dead lamb
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:51:05 pm »
I sadly found a dead lamb in the field this evening from ewe's that weren't supposed to be in lamb. It must have been born last night in the storms and being they are in a large field I missed it this morning as they were at the other end of the field.
I bought the sheep on the 29th November and the seller said they had not been tupped, so I was really shocked to find this lamb. My concern is if any of the rest are in lamb, is it likely ? Looking at them now with that in mind, it could be possible.
Theses ewe's have not been fed as if they were in lamb, although they have had free access to hay and pellets over the last few weeks as I have been so concerned about their condition. I only had the vet out to them last week because they are in such poor condition, but blood tests, worm count / fluke test and skins scrapes all came back fine.
Question what do I do now?
15 sheep in v. Poor condition in a field about 2 miles away, possible in lamb. I really don't want to loose ewe's or lambs. I have only lambed once before and I was throughly prepared and it was only 2 ewe's.
I will go to the field late tonight to check, but can I  leave a ewe and lamb in an open field, should I set up some small pens with straw?
Any advise greatly received. Thanks

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
Re: Help unexpected dead lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:30 pm »
Sheep with lambs will be fine in field if weather is decent. Could it be that the rest are thin because they are in lamb also? They usually get a bit of an udder before they lamb too so might be a tell tale sign to look out for.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:00:04 pm »
I had a similar case last year, I bought in sheep which had been run alongside wethers, turned out they were in lamb. I am sorry for your loss. Are you able to bring the sheep in at all or closer to your house? It might be worth getting them in to check them to see if they're in lamb. When mine are in lamb I give them some sugarbeet and ad-lib hay, which they love. I hope this helps and all the best with them :thumbsup: Please do keep us updated? I am sorry that I cannot be of more help
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:55:07 am »
Ewes and lambs are fine in an open field under normal conditions. But bearing in mind the recent strong winds and torrential rain, I would take some straw and hurdles for emergency shelter, and to make the odd temporary pen in case of problems. A few hurdles tied up at right angles to the fence, (assuming a solid fence), or tied together in a u shape so they will stand by themselves, will provide a wind break on a foul day. Some small bales of straw arranged 3 together like a T, are even better as the sheep can get shelter on whichever side is away from the wind.
When I used to lamb outside with no buildings I used to have an old livestock trailer that I left in the field and sometimes the ewes would go inside to lamb, or failing that I always had somewhere to enclose anyone that had a problem. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »
Doesn't op need to find the ewe that has lambed so it can be monitored for the milk drying up and not causing mastitis especially if food it about to be offered.

On a plus, I would have thought they vet might have commented if a lot of them looked pregnant - I know it's hard with lambs but even so.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:51:31 pm »
SORRY but you are in a very difficult situation , you need to pen up your sheep and check for udders as a first move  , as said I'm surprised the vet didn't check to see if any were in lamb .      While yes normally sheep will lamb in a field ok you are not in a normal situation ,from your post the ewes are very lean so the lambs if carried to term will be small  so  will get chilled very quickly  and the ewes may have no milk   , SO you need some form of shelter , heat in some form  , colostrum , milk powder /  bottles/ tubes /    .  For the ewes you may need calcium borogluconate  /   twin lamb remedy / multi vit          shelter and up their pellets little by little   ,   the good thing is you know that any in lamb will lamb in the next month .        KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS   

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 01:22:26 pm »
Some high energy blocks, the red crystalix or red Maxx bucket.    Also ad lib haylage.  Plus all what shep saysgood luck x

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:29:02 pm »
Is there any chance of fencing part of the field off? (How big is the field?), and at least bringing them in there at night so you can check easier? Have to say I don't think udders are the best guide, my girl is in lamb but no udder yet, she can't be far off.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:02:58 pm »
When you say ewes do you mean sheep that have had a lamb before or    ewe hoggs carrying a first lamb ?           What condition score are they ?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:22:34 pm »
Hows it going

brookdale

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 12:09:49 am »
Thanks all for your replies.
Little bit more prepared now. Luckily no more lambs to date although a couple look due any time.
Keeping a real close eye. Visiting last thing about 12.00 at night and then at 5.30 / 6.00 at first light, not ideal but our fields are so water logged here have decided to leave them rather than the stress of moving again.
Have sectioned off a section of the field with hurdles and put in shelter with straw bales. Have put down high protein blocks, not that they seem that fussed by them.
All are still feeding well on the pellets and grass and have good appetites, I'm ready with colostrum and various other bits, just need a bit of luck now and no more torrential rain.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:57:33 am »
You've been busy :-),
Don't know whether it was local or countrywide but weather didn't sound too bad until Saturday night, than heavy rain.
Good luck.  Is the mum Ok?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 09:45:46 am »
Good luck. They are lucky to have you!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 09:49:05 am »
Have you got someone willing to check on them a couple of times a day? If only to shout for help if worried.

brookdale

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 10:18:57 am »
Checking on them throughout the day too, probable every 3 hrs, starting to think  I might as well get the tent out !!!! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS