Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creep Feeding and Vermin  (Read 2352 times)

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
Creep Feeding and Vermin
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:40:45 pm »
Hi all

I currently have a creep feeder out in the field with the sheep. I often see the lambs eating at the creep feeder as I would expect. However, either the lambs are eating one heck of an amount of feed or something else is also eating it.  Deer or badgers? There are a lot of them around here.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Creep Feeding and Vermin
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:51:09 pm »
Pheasants?  I know our local birds steal creep and leftover ewe nuts.

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:53:35 pm »
There are some pheasants, but only a handful. I only see 3 hens and 1 cock bird each day but they hang about in the trees, maybe they venture out when I'm not there.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:09:13 pm »
Creep cam? Sorry, must  be annoying, I don't think there's much you can do bar moving the creep feeder regularly. 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:02:41 am »
Rats? Creep cam would help.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:34 am »
How much is a "heck of a lot". If a badger can get its head in so could a sheep.

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »
Good point harmony!  Well there are 20 lambs and they are eating 5 bags of creep a week at the moment  :o  that must be too much!!  The oldest lambs are just coming on for 8 weeks old.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:58:52 pm »
I'd suspect badgers, especially if the feed has any molasses content - they've a sweet tooth.  I used to leave lick buckets open all the time until I found one clawed into pieces by a badger.  Now I put the lids on at night and lick bucket consumption has reduced by 40%.  Don't forget badgers visiting your land may well be urinating and defaecating bTB, which can be contracted by ovines, as they go, as well as leaving saliva (also infectious) on the feeder.

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:42:30 pm »
Hi marches.  I do suspect it could be badgers, our troughs often have claw marks on them - dont want to be feeding them to be honest! to get to the bottom of it i think i will either have to sit out and hide to see the culprit(s) or purchase one of those trail cams.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS