Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field shelter construction  (Read 3105 times)

SuffolkLab

• Joined May 2015
Field shelter construction
« on: March 28, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't seem to find anything using the search. If I am to build a [permanent] field shelter using telegraph poles and the likes, which is the best direction to have the opening? I only ask as I may wish to use it in the spring for lambing and want it to give the girls as much protection from any weather we may experience. Is there anything else I need to take into consideration at the same time?

Many thanks in advance,

Suffolklab

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Field shelter construction
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 07:07:06 pm »
We tend to put our opening to the south, or second best to the east, but it would depend on your prevailing wind and which way your land slopes, ie our field shelter has a south facing opening but is at the bottom of a north facing field, always muddy round the entrance after rain, not too bad now I've put a load of concrete rubble down.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:47:24 pm »
We have them in all different directions  ::)  The best I think is south.  East catches the wind and snow, as does north, west catches nearly all the rain, south catches the sun just nicely  :sunshine:
For other considerations, I wish we had dug a ditch all the way round the outside and filled it with rubble, then led it off a bit to help keep it all dry.  Some of our shelters have guttering which catches into a barrel or bucket.  remember to leave enough width to the opening so one ewe can't keep the rest out.  If you ever get strong winds where you are, then construct your shelter and its roof a couple of times more sturdy than you think you need to.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SuffolkLab

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:57:24 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I think I will try south facing then. I have a small band of trees which can help provide a bit of shelter also. Interesting point about the ditch around the outside, does your ditch drain anywhere? Or is it just a lower area to keep water away?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:05:47 pm »
ours are all north/northeast because the wind comes up the hill from the south

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 08:55:50 am »
A generous overhang at the eaves above the door will also be useful for keeping things dry inside, and ti keep the worst of the rain off the doorway area.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS